Bad heating issue (sorry for another thread!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack this thread but, I have a somewhat similar situation. My heater works fine until I get to a stoplight (or anywhere else it's just idling) and it immediately turns cold... Any thoughts on what the cause is?

Same problem I have with my Accord. How cold is it there?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack this thread but, I have a somewhat similar situation. My heater works fine until I get to a stoplight (or anywhere else it's just idling) and it immediately turns cold... Any thoughts on what the cause is?

Does it keep the heat going alright if you give it a little gas and keep the engine RPMs up? If that's the case I might suspect a water pump.

(I am an Instant Expert™ since I just did mine over the weekend.) ;)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I would get a second opinion before diving in - it might be something simpler. I was being a little tongue-in-cheek with my "Instant Expert™ " crack.

If you do need to change it, here you go:

[YT]j9xCAXg9-5s[/YT]

I am mechanically inclined but had little experience with motor vehicles. If that video looks doable to you and you have a good socket set and torque wrench it is a simple job. I had a few problems, but they were mostly due to bad luck. I tried to replace the thermostat while I was at it and got a dud, then had the O-Ring on the radiator draincock fail. Neither was expensive but were a pain in the butt when working outside in 10-degree weather.

Play-by-play here:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/water-pumps-n00bs-57502/

Like I said, I'd hold out for a second opinion before you start ripping parts off. The water pump cost me $50, so that part isn't bad. Make sure you use HOAT coolant ONLY, though, or you'll be doing it again before you want to. :)

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
You can use the Zerex G-05, too. It's about ten buck a gallon cheaper and is available at NAPA. There is a list of about a dozen certified brands floating around here somewhere but I'll be danged if I can find it.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

Low coolant can cause this too. Been there. I'd check that first, then go with the WP.