Bad "BCM" need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tullman

Reaction score
looks like I've had the Body control module go on my 2002 KJ Liberty
sold here in Australia as a Cherokee Limited seems difficult to find a replacement
any help would be appreciated.

Had a total failure of most of all systems. Head lights, Central Locking,
air conditioning, wind shield wipers, speedometer and tacho... all go at once...

any help would be greatly appreciated

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like I've had the Body control module go on my 2002 KJ Liberty
sold here in Australia as a Cherokee Limited seems difficult to find a replacement
any help would be appreciated.

Had a total failure of most of all systems. Head lights, Central Locking,
air conditioning, wind shield wipers, speedometer and tacho... all go at once...

any help would be greatly appreciated

I presume you have checked all the fuses....inside the cabin and inside the Engine bay.

I also presume you have a new, good battery fitted and clean battery cables and clean chassis earth point....90% of weird electrical problems are battery related.

There is a chance that maybe you have lost the earth to the BCM...the earth points are known to cause problems....worth looking at before buying a new BCM.

Inside the left kick panel you should find a black connector which is Connector G202.

There should be a Black/Orange cable in that connector for your Export model which is the ground wire. That goes to Pin 25 on connector C1 on the BCM.
Check that this cable does indeed go to earth....use an Ohm meter!:shrug:

Last edited:

tullman

Reaction score
thanks mate will check this first before anything else cheers i would really rather not go down the track of a new bcm if all possible seems like they are hard to come by here in australia

tullman

Reaction score
what are my chances of locating a wiring diagram for my 2002 kj limited....
i desperately want to avoid going to a dealer here in Sydney if i can all help it...!!!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try this link for the 2002/2003 KJs. If you just want the circuit diagrams...with locations...theory of OPs...fault finding etc. then download only Section 8. (about 42 Mb) If you want the mechanical section as well then dowload everything. If this link does not work for you then PM for further advice.
There is not a lot of information as regards the internals of the BCM...if you have voltage and ground and it still does not work then you have to replace the BCM.

Jeep KJ 2003 - Liberty Service Manual

keeponjeepin

Reaction score
For $224 dollars US this company http://www.aesmodules.com can refurbish your BCM. I spoke with Kareem today and he's very helpful and knows about the Liberty issues. Otherwise you'd need to find someone with a DRB3 unit that can either re-flash your BCM to factory specs, or locate another BCM with the same exact trim package as your Liberty and have that re-flashed. Chrysler charges $78.00 for a reflash here in Tennessee. Hope this gives you some more options.

BillGeddes

Reaction score
Try this link for the 2002/2003 KJs. If you just want the circuit diagrams...with locations...theory of OPs...fault finding etc. then download only Section 8. (about 42 Mb) If you want the mechanical section as well then dowload everything. If this link does not work for you then PM for further advice.
There is not a lot of information as regards the internals of the BCM...if you have voltage and ground and it still does not work then you have to replace the BCM.

Jeep KJ 2003 - Liberty Service Manual

Greetings!
My 2003 Liberty Limited seems completely functional except for the "Illuminated Entry" function.
I'm thinking access to the service manual might help me troubleshoot, but the link no longer works; can you oblige me with another?

DocHemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings!
My 2003 Liberty Limited seems completely functional except for the "Illuminated Entry" function.
I'm thinking access to the service manual might help me troubleshoot, but the link no longer works; can you oblige me with another?

Would love that link as well....or PM me for an email to send it too.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

Here you go....download the Service Manual for nearest to your year..about 63Mb.

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

coverland

Reaction score
Body Control Module Failure ???

My 2004 Liberty has suddenly developed some weird issues and the dealer wants to sell me a Body Control Module. Dome lights, power door locks, and radio/clock just suddenly quit working and the FOB is dead as well (new FOB batteries didn't help). Otherwise the vehicle drove fine. My local Jeep dealer says there were a number of blown fuses and points to the BCM as cause. Anyone else had issues like this? TIA

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go to another dealer to have them give it a second look. A BCM replacement is expensive and in most cases its something else causing the problem. I would look under the dash and inspect the wiring and look and see if any of it is rubbing.

J.C.

Reaction score
Body Control Module Failure ???

My 2004 Liberty has suddenly developed some weird issues and the dealer wants to sell me a Body Control Module. Dome lights, power door locks, and radio/clock just suddenly quit working and the FOB is dead as well (new FOB batteries didn't help). Otherwise the vehicle drove fine. My local Jeep dealer says there were a number of blown fuses and points to the BCM as cause. Anyone else had issues like this? TIA

We have a 2007 KJ CRD Ltd. The sun roof has leaked since new and water ingress floods the roof liner then drains down the door pillars into the dash where the BCM is located. When it gets wet, the controls for security, door locking and all sorts of other circuitry goes ballistic. Drying the unit out with a hot air gun for a few hours usually gets it to work again, but even high humidity seems to be setting it off these days, so will have to replace it.

Did you get yours replaced?

If so, do you recall what the part number is?

Regards
John

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old post being revived!

John you can try cleaning and drying the BCM and its connectors out then seal everything up with some Silicone to try seal the BCM and its connectors off from water or humidity.

Getting a new BCM would mean you would have to have the Dealers program the VIN into it as well as lots of other parameters such as the Jeep "beeping" when you lock the doors remotely.o_O

The part numbers for the BCM would have changed over the years...the early BCMs had the RKE unit (Remote Key Entry) mounted on top of it...about the size of a cigarette pack. Newer KJs have the RKE built inside the BCM.;)

Are you also a member of ausjeepoffroad.com?
The Export 2007 Diesels will be pretty much in short supply so not many will be in your local Breaker Yards!

The 2007 KJ Service Manuals and Parts Fiches are impossible to get hold of but you can try the 2006 Service Manuals and Parts Fiche here but unlikely that these will cover your 2007 model!

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online