Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pgswimmer

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience installing a wireless backup camera? Specifically how to get to the reverse wire from the mounting location at the license plate and how to wire up the TFT mirror so that it only receives power when the vehicle is in reverse. I will be doing this in a 2006 Liberty Sport and am a college student just starting to learn how to do cool things to my Jeep. Also, what is the best way to ensure all the wires stay hidden?

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran my wires thru the rubber tube that had the factory wiring and then under the inside weatherstripping to the brake light assembly. From there I connected the wire for the power on the backup camera to the backup light.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way is top tap into the reverse wire in the tail lights. I mounted my camera just above the hitch ball and you can hook up to tow with only one person.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way is top tap into the reverse wire in the tail lights. I mounted my camera just above the hitch ball and you can hook up to tow with only one person.

Following this topic too.
Can you post a photo of this setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pgswimmer

Reaction score
If I have the factory tow hitch installed, can I tap into the reverse wire from the trailer wiring harness and mount the camera above the hitch? I purchased a wireless setup, so what would be the best way to power the TFT display that displays the feed? I have heard you want it hooked up to the reverse wire so that it is only powered when the vehicle is in reverse, but wouldn't that make the whole wireless transponder redundant if I have to run a wire from the reverse lights in the rear all the way to the front of the car?

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I have the factory tow hitch installed, can I tap into the reverse wire from the trailer wiring harness and mount the camera above the hitch? I purchased a wireless setup, so what would be the best way to power the TFT display that displays the feed? I have heard you want it hooked up to the reverse wire so that it is only powered when the vehicle is in reverse, but wouldn't that make the whole wireless transponder redundant if I have to run a wire from the reverse lights in the rear all the way to the front of the car?

I think the TFT screen on the wireless units is powered all the time but actually turns on when it receives signal from the camera unit (which gets powered from the reverse light)

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as it's not a real cheap Chinese unit it should be fine to receive power constantly
It wouldn't draw much power being in the 'stand by' position, only when it's actuated by going in reverse should it get the 12V+ to power on fully I'd say

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know the camera has a RCA cable. Mine had a 3 inch red cable in each side. This red cable is inside the RCA cable, and you can conect positive from rear signal up to TFT.

The screen must turn on when is in reverse mode only!!! Otherwise camera and screen will probably last nothing.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the transmitter attached to the TFT won't overheat if it's powered all the time?

It's not a transmitter it's a receiver. It probably draws few milliamps tops. The light on the door switch probably draws more power than that.

I understood the wireless units can be troublesome (flickering and stuff) so be sure not to get the cheapest one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pgswimmer

Reaction score
So if I, say tapped into the sunroof fuse (my jeep does not have a sunroof) to get power only when the vehicle is turned on for the receiver and TFT and tapped into the reverse lights for the camera and transmitter, that should be fine without too much wear on the TFT or receiver?

pgswimmer

Reaction score
Just another question- I put in the backup camera and it worked fine for like an hour, but now the screen says no signal every time I put it into reverse. I ended up doing a wired approach because I couldn't get the wireless to work. It is wired into the reverse lights with the screw that holds the tail light in as ground with the video cable running through the bumper and into the cabin via the firewall.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check voltage to the camera module with a multimeter once you are in reverse. Should be around 12V.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk