Back-n-Blacks Rene

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a little thread for my liberty and what and how it changes as i own it.

Bought in December 2008 with 63k miles bone stock, and i mean right down to the tires and i am not so sure the oil filter isn't the factory one as when i tried to change my oil the first time it was stuck on like it had been there for 63k. :lol: It is a 2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade.

On the build sheet for my jeep it looks as though the only option i didn't get for the 03 Renegade was the heated seats and a Transmition skid plate (although i am not sure if any of them shipped with trany skid).

Prem Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats
Lt Taupe/Dk Slate Gray
Skid Plate Group
Convenience Group I
Trailer Tow Group
Security Group
Power Convenience Group
Monotone Paint
Smoker's Group
3.7L Eng(EKG)/4Spd A/T 45RFE(DG4)
160 Amp Alternator
600 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
Rear 65/35 Folding Split Seat
Child Seat Anchor System-LATCH Ready
Next Gen Multistage Front Air Bags**
Floor Carpet
Cargo Compartment Carpet
Cargo Tie Down Loops
Plastic Swing Gate Trim Panel
Front & Rear Floor Mats
Cargo Trim Panel w/Storage Net
Spare Tire Cover
Cargo Compartment Cover
Passenger Assist Handles
Driver Assist Handle
Luxury Door Trim Panel
Base Door Trim Panel
Mini Overhead Console
Full Length Floor Console
Removable Ash Tray
All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
Multi-Speed Auto 45RFE Transmission
Lock-Up Torque Converter
Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System
Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
3.73 Axle Ratio
Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
3.7L V6 Engine
Tinted Windshield Glass
Front Door Tinted Glass
Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass
Flipper Swing Gate Glass
Rear Window Defroster
Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
Rear View Auto Dim Mirror
Pwr Htd F/Away,Drvr Auto Dim Mirrors
All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
Power Sunroof
Remote Keyless Entry
Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System
Air Conditioning
Route 53 - UP, Kent, WA
Instrument Cluster w/Tach
120 MPH Primary Speedometer
Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
Rear Window Wiper/Washer
Cigar Lighter
Dual Note Electric Horns
12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
Auxiliary 12-Volt Rear Power Outlet
Speed Sensitive Power Locks
Power Front Driver/Passenger Seats
Pwr Windows, Front 1-Touch Down
STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
Illuminated Entry
Vehicle Information Center
Courtesy Lamps
Map/Dome Reading Lamps
Cargo Compartment Lamp
Traveler/Mini Trip Computer
Headlamp Off Time Delay
Halogen Headlamps
Fog Lamps
Roof Mounted Light Bar
CHMSL Lamp
Security Alarm
Front License Plate Bracket
Body Color Grille
Body Color Fascias
Tubular Side Steps
Jeep Badge
4X4 Badge
Roof Rack
Chrome Roof Rail Crossbars
3.7L Badge
Renegade Badge
Liberty Badge
50 State Emissions
Federal Tier 2, Bin 9A Emissions
18.5 Gallon Fuel Tank
Power Steering Cooler
Speed Control
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
Light Khaki Metallic Clear Coat
Light Khaki Metallic Clear Coat
All Radio Equipped Vehicles
AM/FM Cass/CD Radio w/Changer Ctrl
6 Premium Speakers
Fixed Long Mast Antenna
Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Ctrls
Power Rack and Pinion Steering
Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
Normal Duty Suspension
Tilt Steering Column
Full Size Spare Tire
Outside Tire Carrier
P235/70R16 OWL All Terrain Tires
Goodyear Brand Tires
16X7.0 Aluminum Wheels
Matching Spare Wheel
All Aluminum Wheels
Tow Hooks
Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
Front Suspension Skid Plate
Class III Receiver Hitch
7 Pin Wiring Harness
7 to 4 Pin Wiring Adaptor
Universal Garage Door Opener
Grocery Bag Hooks
Tethered Fuel Filler Cap
Protective Coating and Remover
5 Additional Gallons of Gas
Spring - Left Front
Spring - Left Rear
Spring - Right Front
Spring - Right Rear

You must be registered for see images

With 63k and not knowing what kind of maintenance was done i jumped right in to replace all the fluids and check everything out. The diff oil smelled horrible and was burnt really bad.
You must be registered for see images attach

I replaced the diff and transfer case lube with Royal Purple http://www.royalpurple.com/gear-oil.html. The motor oil was changed out for Mobile One 10-30. The trany just got regular replacement fluid.

After driving it around for a while and taking it out wheeling a few times the changes i wanted to make started to get clearer. First every problem i had off road was ground clearance. The side steps or running boards, depending on what you call them, hung up on everything and ended up getting pushed into the rear tires.

Off they came..now setting in a scrap pile.
Also i didn't like the top heavy look the plastic rail covers gave the roof. It was just to much up here and made it look overly tall. They went next to the running boards. :twisted:

I pulled the stock paper air filter and threw in a KnN replacement filter to let her breath a little better.

I might be juvenile or just a little old school but i like to hear my rigs. The motor, the exhaust even the tires on the road are all welcome sounds to my ears. So my second purchase was a Flowmaster 44 SOR.

Rubber Mopar floor mats, Mopar ****** skid, d30 Lock-Right Locker, rear isolators and conduit nuts.

Woohoo the lift and shocks showed up today!! Everything looks good to install now. :D

One side note after looking at the daystar lift i am amazed at the number of post i have seen about the preloading of the front springs. From posts about horrible ride to coil stacking it just amazes me because the difference is less than 1/2". If a 1/2 inch of preload makes any difference at all to ride quality i will be amazed.

Last edited:

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. Nope not yet. I am having the rest of the stuff installed on tuesday, but the locker is going to have to wait a while. Paying a shop 6 hours labor to do it is not high on my list. I would rather wait a while and get down to my fathers shop and do it myself. I am not a rich man and $600+ is no small amount to me.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that the PowerTrax Locker?? Where you taking it for the install, Auburn Car Rapair and Off-Road?

Yes that is a Lock-right locker. Not having the locker installed right now, but yes Auburn CRO is doing the lift, muffler and other stuff. Work happens tomarrow at 8am!!! Woohooooooooooooooooooo

how did you get the transmission skid to fit?
From what i have found two holes line up and the other two do not. So you get a drill and drill some holes. Make them matchup to the engine skid and diff skid.

Last edited:

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

Lift is on. More pictures when it is light outside as dark pictures suck.

As it stands today was a disappointing day. Either there is a strut change between different years or i miss read somewhere that when doing a front clevis lift the conduit nuts work.............wrong answer Bobby wrong answer. On my 03, assumed stock front shocks, there is no lip or ring all the way around the shock for the nuts to set. Just two small tabs that catch on the clevis, but not big enough to catch a 2" conduit nut.

So right now that is all Daystar 2.5 lift. No extra front lift. The rear does have 1 extra top iso, but without the front lift there was no need to put 2 in. Guess i will have to fit that later.

Also the ****** skid had to be cut a little to make it mount flush against the underside of the jeep, not to mention the holes i knew would need to be made because of the newer style skid.

Attachments

• 4 004.jpg
    4 004.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 218

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow you'd be hard pressed to be able to fit your finger through those very compressed front coils there.Start saving your money you'll need some new front coils very soon from the stacking that will be finishing off your front coils very soon.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow you'd be hard pressed to be able to fit your finger through those very compressed front coils there.Start saving your money you'll need some new front coils very soon from the stacking that will be finishing off your front coils very soon.

Thanks man. I will keep that in mind. :cool:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. I will keep that in mind. :cool:
I wasn't being mean,I was just telling what you will have happen very soon.

Bet they look like this upclose right?

If they are your coils are shot and will only get worse,strange noises will start and then very funny drive ability issues will start appearing.Just warning you before something bad happens.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See attached. And i understand you where just warning me. I said thanks. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4 007.jpg
    4 007.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 119

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flowmaster 44 SOR installed this morning. Ended up cutting out all the restrictions and neck downs and making it exit at the same spot as stock. I love it!!! I do not care if i lost power or gained power. The sound and feeling it gives the Jeep is totally worth it.

No drone inside the jeep. If your light on the gas your neighbors will not kill you while you sleep and it gives it a really nice rumble at idle. Finally my jeep sounds like it feels.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fwiw, you do not NEED to fit conduit nuts to do a clevis lift. I had mine at +3/8" for a year with no problems.

Ya thanks Tony. I figured that out after explaining the proccess that i had read on the forums to the shop and then have him laugh at me and say no go. I argued and said but i brought you a picture of it done, man talk about it being done. He then showed me the strut and nut and why it wouldn't work. (blarg)

Just another small inaccuracy on the forums caused by people who know nothing and repeat what they read. Not sure who came up with it to start with, but a tape measure works a lot better to measure distance. :^o:D

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya i seen that. But the fact of the matter is if the clevis slips it will push them right over that lip in a heart beat making it worthless. Maybe it works great on aftermarket shocks, but i searched a lot and never found a post that said it didn't work on the stock shocks.

Your right Tony. Absolutly right. I shouldn't listen to the giant LIFT FAQ (please read before asking questions) thread. I should search every topic and thread where it has ever been disscussed anywhere on the internet. My bad. My bad. Won't make the misstake again.

But i know how hard you work on the stickys and appreshiate your time and work, so please do not think i am saying you have not done a great job. You have. Just need more cowbell.....ya know more facts and less hear say and stuff would be awesome.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duly noted, I updated the Lift FAQ too. I feel sorry to have misinformed you and possibly other people.

I am trying to get the facts correct, I think I got most of it right. None of us know as much as all of us so if you have anything to add please lmk.

Your doing a great job Tony!! You didn't mislead, you where misled. ;):) I will always share anything and everything i find or deal with as i go.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went out to the offroad park up here today and had a great time and am really enjoying the lift. Can't wait to get some rock rails and tires on this rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOzu4t6uHFc

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MMMMM mud!!! ha ha ha

Friday night drove jeep into woods........sunday morning drove jeep out of woods. We where just playing around when we hit this spot and it was straight pudding mud. By the time we where done we had got my jeep stuck my dads Ford and another buddies Toyota on 35's.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, yeah I'd say that's pretty stuck...I've done the same in the JK, and you're right it's kinda like trying to drive through a big bowl of pudding! Glad you got it out, and I'm sure it was a blast.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was kinda fun kinda a pain in the butt. We didn't mean to go out and play in mud we just wanted to cruze the woods a little and get out of the house. When we came to that corner i had no idea how deep that puddle on the left was and when i attempted to go around.........bam stuck. Fun weekend because i got to spend a bunch of time with friends in the woods, but i would of rather been doing almost anything else but digging my rene out of the jello pudding mud hole. ha ha