Back from my first road trip ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from my first [semi-]long roadtrip in my new Renegade. I went to visit my uncle outside Toledo (the uncle, if you'll remember, who's the retired Chrysler manager who got me the employee price discount on my Jeep).

The trip from the Pittsburgh area to his place was about 200 miles, and I got about 18.25 MPG on the PA and OH turnpikes.

Interesting...my uncle was the manager of the glass division for Jeep. The KJ was actually the last vehicle he designed for before he retired. Appropriate that it was a Liberty I chose.

He actually had a lot of interesting stories about the development of the KJ from the early days.

PS, boy am I kicking myself for NOT getting the satellite navigation. I may have to save-up for one in the future. But on the plus side, the satellite radio was great.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jjo said:
He actually had a lot of interesting stories about the development of the KJ from the early days.

Do tell! =D>

One of these days, I'll get an RB1........ I used one at the dealer the other day. I want badly! :)

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My uncle was in charge of designing the glass for the Liberty (windshield, windows, etc.).

In a prototype, the back window was straight along the bottom. This cleared the rear-mounted spare tire, but barely. It was approved, and molds were made for production.

It was then discovered that if a user put a cover on the spare, or put a bigger spare on, the window would rub when it popped-up.

But the windows were already approved as-is. My uncle went to the designer and asked if they'd lower the spare by 1". The designer refused. My uncle had to redesign the rear window with a "bump" to clear the tire.

Apparently, this was a big deal.

Another story about the rear tire....

An early prototype had the spare mounted INSIDE like the Cherokee. But, the back still opened as we know it today (two pieces). The problem was that people tended to stand too close the the rear gate when they opened it (since there was no tire back there), and the top glass hit them in the face.

It was also discussed to have the rear gate flip down, instead of open like a door.

He also told me that the Liberty was the first model to have an "open ended" windshield. Look at the top of your windshield. There isn't molding up there along the top. Its just to give it a different "look," and really doesn't serve any purpose or give any other advantages.

I personally didn't even notice. The back side cargo area windows are also molding-less.

The dash was also designed to easily convert a left-sided driver's wheel to a right-sided version (at the factory). Look at the dash on yours; the two sides are independent of the middle console.

All interesting. We talked for hours about his time at DC.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i noticed about the dash before, how it was independent from the center...didnt occur to me that it's made to be easier for both sides...LOL

interesting stories.......now i know a lil something more bout my kj \:D/

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks JJO for sharing. Interesting about the issues with the back glass! I bet it takes a lot of departments to design a vehicle.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the stories jjo! Quite intresting little bits of information.. have any more O:)

2003KJ

Reaction score
man, I'd love to meet your uncle.....keep the stories commin!

An early prototype had the spare mounted INSIDE like the Cherokee. But, the back still opened as we know it today (two pieces). The problem was that people tended to stand too close the the rear gate when they opened it (since there was no tire back there), and the top glass hit them in the face.

(rotflmao) (rotflmao) rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif

I'll never forget that almost happened to me the first time I opened up the glass. If you're not careful the damn thing will take your head off....LOL!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Does he like talking on message boards? I'd love to hear some of his stories!

Thanks... always did wonder why the glass had that "hole" in it.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think he'd be too insterested right now. He just got a new computer, and is learning the ins and outs (that's why I went to visit him, to help him get started).

I'll mention it in a few months after he gets used to using his computer.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Perhaps next time you see him, could you ask him why about 90% of KJ's have that plastic piece on the rear glass (the one to put your hands on to close the glass), and the other 10% don't? Mine DOES NOT and it drives me crazy every time I wash it and have to close the window.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We actually did discuss that strike plate. Although I don't remember him saying that some models didn't have it.

I may be seeing him again soon, I'll ask.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Perhaps next time you see him, could you ask him why about 90% of KJ's have that plastic piece on the rear glass (the one to put your hands on to close the glass), and the other 10% don't? Mine DOES NOT and it drives me crazy every time I wash it and have to close the window.

yeh..they stopped some time in middle of the o2 model year and brought it back on the o3's.......u can pick it up at the dealer for like 7 bux....(it was another cost cutting thing for them) and the skids...the stopped making it as a standard option...now it just comes with the off road package or something...

my 02 didnt have the plastic thing..but had skids..now i have both..(bought that plastic thing)

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Does it just stick on there? The others look like they were made into the glass.

yep it just sticks on ..the hardest part of the install is making sure it's centered and striaght...i suggest another person for 2nd opinions on it being straight and centered

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.