back bumper oxidizing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motherto2

Reaction score
I've been reading the threads to find a solution for my son's 06 KJ bumper that looks like it's oxidizing. When I bought it about a month ago, I was real impressed with the look of all the bumpers and fenders. My daughter has a Wrangler and the fenders have turned all blotchy. Well, now it looks like his bumper is doing the same thing. Are the products like Forever black bumper and Trim, Meguire's Ultimate PRotectant, Mother's back to black, etc. the type of products I need to use? Bumpers/fenders are like a dark grey color. I wasn't sure if the back to black or forever black bumper and trim would be the right products. My daughter is actually thinking about replacing her fenders with new ones because they look so bad. I did have someone tell me they know a small dealer that actually scuffs the fenders on the Wranglers and then paints them a matte black, but she's hesitant to try that.

Thanks!

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the bondo brand(3m) forever black works pretty well, it all wears away eventually though, but i use lucas slick mist interior detailer or tire shine(available at pep boys or advance auto) to keep up on the trim, painting would work but the surface prep required for bare plastic trim is kind of a lot, not to mention it will be expensive in comparison to the forever black

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only product I have used for oxydation on plastics is the Mothers Back to Black. Works good but doesn't last a long time. I use it on the door handles occasionally. I havn't tried anything else though.

It does also work good on tires. I just put some on a rag and wipe it on. Makes them look real black like new but without the ghetto shine.

Dave

motherto2

Reaction score
I bought some Mother's Back to Black on the way home from work. Is that good to put on the grey bumper?

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Painting the fender flairs is really a fairly easy proposition. It's far more complicated sounding than it really is...

Before starting, visit your local auto paint supplier and order up a couple or three spray cans of whatever colour you want to paint the flairs. Make sure they add "flex-agent", that allows the paint to flex with the flair... regular paint will crack a flake off without it. Also pick up a can of adhesion promoter..

Begin by removing the flairs, wash them well with hot, soapy water and rinse well. After they are thoroughly dried, go over them lightly with a red 3-M pad to give the surface a "tooth".

Wipe the flairs down with a pre-painting cleaner to remove any contaminants, then shoot the flairs with the adhesion promoter (this product allows the paint to bond to the plastic surface), then shoot your colour coats.

I've painted several "spoilers" and bumper covers using this method with excellent results...

Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.