[B]This is not a correct statment what I was reading.[/B]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know but what I can tell you is that the wrangeler rubicon would be better for serious off-roading, unless you buy a liberty then do serious mods. Being a liberty owner I can tell you that it's great for light off-roading but if you do serious off-roading with a stock libby, the Dana 30 front end along with the standard-duty chain in the transfer case will not hold up.

go figure, really if you look at it you spend upwards of 25k for a rubicon and 10-15k for a liberty what you can do with the difference would make the liberty so much greater especially if you have a family just my $.02.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you are getting this from but let
me be the first to clear things up
both the KJ and TJ came with the exact same
NP231 (KJ option of NP242 is weaker but not the
"weak link")
The KJ and TJ manual are the same
The TJ 4 speed auto and mid '03+ KJ are the same
That is where it ends
KJ front diff is the weak link ,no doubt or question
TJ stock on MT's will fallow any open diffed KJ with
ease ,fact of life
Now the TJ new wins the price war
1 can be had for under $18 with AC and I6
A TJ rubicon was $25K+ our KJ LTD was $25k
Even if you could some how some way get a KJ
new for $15K you could not touch rubicon
ability for $10k as you will still have the weak link
Now you could follow that $18k stock TJ for $3k in mods
But what it can have for the extra $2k you would again
be behind
The way it is

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kj four doors more rear leg room and more rear storage.
Kj got kids?
Oh and a little better wheel base.
But hay to each his or her own.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Simply looking at ammenities, the LTD blows the Rubi out of the water. One has more money in being nice to drive on the road, the other for off the road. It's all about what you want to do with the vehicle. I spend most of my time driving to and from work in all sorts of weather and offroad when time permits. The four doors are some "future planning" for me and the wife. So for ME the right choice is the libby. Now, one of my buddies is a single, 30-year old with no kids/wife/girlfriend and he spend all weekend, every weekend blazing down trails in his TJ--which is the right choice for him. It all comes down to the end user.

To each his own.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you are getting this from but let
me be the first to clear things up
both the KJ and TJ came with the exact same
NP231 (KJ option of NP242 is weaker but not the
"weak link")
The KJ and TJ manual are the same
The TJ 4 speed auto and mid '03+ KJ are the same
That is where it ends
KJ front diff is the weak link ,no doubt or question
TJ stock on MT's will fallow any open diffed KJ with
ease ,fact of life
Now the TJ new wins the price war
1 can be had for under $18 with AC and I6
Even if you could some how some way get a KJ
new for $15K you could not touch rubicon
ability for $10k as you will still have the weak link
Now you could follow that $18k stock TJ for $3k in mods
But what it can have for the extra $2k you would again
be behind
The way it is
Bought my '02 Limited KJ brand new for $17k,at the time a Rubicon was almost $30k.

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting because the moderately equipped liberty at our dealership was 30. My jk was 26. I'm around 4.5k in and my jk can do pretty much anything accept swim.
You must be registered for see images

These are same year. Out of the box except for the renegade they aren't compareable. With a bit of money in mods they are but the sfa and ground clearance is going to win. Facts of life.

And for those who say liberty is better because it has 4 doors,
You must be registered for see images

sent using the dark side of the force

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All true, however on the other hand I'll out corner you you'll never catch me on the road. You get what it was designed for. 10 years ago you probably could get one for 17K. I would never pay 30K for a liberty. Ridiculous. And if you don't pay at least 25 or so for a JK they look very cheap and flimsy. That's my opinion though, the fenders stick out too far which make the wheels and tires look small. Now, yours sort of had that look when you got it. Now, it looks like it should and I like it.

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
All true, however on the other hand I'll out corner you you'll never catch me on the road. You get what it was designed for. 10 years ago you probably could get one for 17K. I would never pay 30K for a liberty. Ridiculous. And if you don't pay at least 25 or so for a JK they look very cheap and flimsy. That's my opinion though, the fenders stick out too far which make the wheels and tires look small. Now, yours sort of had that look when you got it. Now, it looks like it should and I like it.

Idk stock it could take corners well. I keep my sway bars unhooked so right now most semis can out corner me. A base jk should come with 255/75's . Otherwise it looks very strange

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk stock it could take corners well. I keep my sway bars unhooked so right now most semis can out corner me. A base jk should come with 255/75's . Otherwise it looks very strange

strange, ugly, cheap, flimsy. yes, I agree. :smokin:

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
I know exactly where that Jeep was built(about 7 miles from my place),it has close to $50K in mods done to it.Kinda blows the "being cheaper" theory away.

Just an example. I know that has a v8 and custom top and paint. On a 2.5 inch lift on a kj you can fit what? 285 75 tires? On a jk 315 75. An ome lift costs what? $800. For $800 you can get a rock krawler 2.5 mid arm kit and get their steering upgrade parts free. That's more flex and ground clearance. I know kjs are very capable but jks with near the same amount put in are more capable. That's why i think jeep needs to redo the liberty