Aux Transmission Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

i have been monitoring the Transmission Temp in my KJ, and the other day i saw it coming up to 113C-235F while in traffic.
I am checking the temperature through the OBD.
So, now i am in the process of installing an aux Transmission Cooler.
I have been thinking of installing the B&M 70268 cooler. It is a stacked-plate design and it seems that it can be easily installed in my jeep.
What is your opinion?
I know that most of you have done this, so, you know better...:gr_grin:

Last edited:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do what I did and that was to buy a 2002 radiator with the in radiator transmission cooler then loop it back out to the external cooler. The factory external cooler is way to small as well so you will want to buy the replacement part the part number is 5191979AA. With both of these your transmission will be much happier and cooler.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Renegade!
If i understand it well, you mean to buy part number 5191979AA and put it instead of the radiator it currently has? And finally connect the external cooler i have now, as aux transmission cooler?
Or to buy the 2002 radiator and add this part as the external cooler? If this is the case, i think it will cost too much...

Last edited:

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I see that as a possible solution, upgrading to the bigger cooler.
However, I am not sure that it will solve the problem... And changing the radiator is not an option as it is expensive and mine is new...
Has anyone upgraded to the bigger cooler and also added an external? We have high temperatures over here during summer...
Any other options?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
simply upgrading to a bigger cooler will help out a lot with the heat and you could run 2 external coolers if you need it, but I would first start with just upgrading to the bigger cooler first and see if you still have a problem.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

i have been monitoring the Transmission Temp in my KJ, and the other day i saw it coming up to 113C-235F while in traffic.
I am checking the temperature through the OBD.
So, now i am in the process of installing an aux Transmission Cooler.
I have been thinking of installing the B&M 70268 cooler. It is a stacked-plate design and it seems that it can be easily installed in my jeep.
What is your opinion?
I know that most of you have done this, so, you know better...:gr_grin:

Oups! Wrongly placed! Can it be moved or deleted?

Being a '04 you already have a AUX trans cooler,you do not have a in-radiator trans cooler,only a stand alone AUX trans cooler.

Putting a radiator for a '02 KJ in with the in-radiator trans cooler then running to your stock cooler is best.

Running 2 AUX coolers will not be much help.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you get trans temp on obd?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
simply upgrading to a bigger cooler will help out a lot with the heat and you could run 2 external coolers if you need it, but I would first start with just upgrading to the bigger cooler first and see if you still have a problem.
Yes this is my best move for now...

Being a '04 you already have a AUX trans cooler,you do not have a in-radiator trans cooler,only a stand alone AUX trans cooler.

Putting a radiator for a '02 KJ in with the in-radiator trans cooler then running to your stock cooler is best.

Running 2 AUX coolers will not be much help.
Yes tjkj2002, i know this is the best solution but my radiator is new (2.000miles). I think though, that if the bigger external cooler does not have any real effect, i will have to consider it... Do you think that changing to the bigger Mopar cooler will solve my problem?

How did you get trans temp on obd?
I am running the Android version of the Jeep KJ Transmission Monitor program written by Jeep Explorer who is a member here.
Check the following thread:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f201/jeep-kj-transmission-monitor-60686/

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just in order to be on the safe side:
Jeep 2002 KJ radiator with internal transmission cooler (fits 2004 KJ)Part No.: 52080118AB (what are the ...AA, ...AC part differences? Do they also fit?)
Jeep KJ external BIG transmission cooler Part No.5191979AA

Last edited:

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of purchasing the '02 radiator and using the transmission cooler as external as this was proposed by tjkj2002 and seems the best solution.
Does anybody know if the Mopar Part No.: 52080118AB which i found it to be the '02 radiator, will fit without issues in my '04 with the external cooler i currently have?
I am asking because i will have to order it from US. This means shipping costs and customs which will cost approx+150$, so making a mistake and ordering a part that for some reason won't fit, in not an option for me...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of purchasing the '02 radiator and using the transmission cooler as external as this was proposed by tjkj2002 and seems the best solution.
Does anybody know if the Mopar Part No.: 52080118AB which i found it to be the '02 radiator, will fit without issues in my '04 with the external cooler i currently have?
I am asking because i will have to order it from US. This means shipping costs and customs which will cost approx+150$, so making a mistake and ordering a part that for some reason won't fit, in not an option for me...

The radiator will fit with no issue but you will have to modify your trans cooler since the '02 radiator will not have any mounting points for it like your current radiator.

Thee is a "how to" for this very swap somewhere on this forum,I believe TwoBobsKJ did it.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The radiator will fit with no issue but you will have to modify your trans cooler since the '02 radiator will not have any mounting points for it like your current radiator.

Thee is a "how to" for this very swap somewhere on this forum,I believe TwoBobsKJ did it.

Thanks jkj2002!
I will search for it! I prefer not to use an aftermarket radiator, as many members had issues...

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually have this all aluminum radiator and it has the in radiator cooler, but also lacks the mounting points for the external cooler. I mounted my external cooler using zip ties.
56mm aluminum alloy radiator Jeep Liberty KJ 3.7L V6 A/T 2002-2006 | eBay

Thanks for the info. How long do you have it, how many miles?
Most propably, i will order the mopar '02 radiator. I found that the Part No. is 52080118AB. They are expensive, but they last...
If the external cooler is so easy to mount on them also, the swap will be easy!:icon_razz:

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Has anybody done this modification in order to use the genuine Mopar '02 radiator with the genuine external transmission cooler? Any photo's of how it is done?