At the gas station today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
NOW, this is why we must tell new owners and potential owners the truth about KJs. Saw a guy at the gas station tonight, he told me he just bought this 04 Renegade a few months ago and this so on the advice of someone on Facebook. He had to to decide from, one a Sport, the other a Renegade. He bought the Renegade since it came from the factory with 50 more horsepower than other models, was the only KJ given the Off Road badge, had lockers front and rear with 4.12 ( yes he said 4.12 ) gearing, came stock with an inch more height than the rest, had a 300 amp alternator , and I forget what other BS he said. I tried to set him straight but he kept talking about this Jeep Liberty expert on Facebook and that is what he told him LOL I finally told him mine was a Sport, we could line them up right then out the road and see if his 4.12 gearing and 50 extra horsepower would beat me. HAHA. Oh and you could not install a Renegade light bar on any other model since it takes spacial wiring, holes somewhere .......

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being in a KJ group on Facebook, I am not surprised unfortunately. I joined that group right around when I joined this forum, and the disparity of information between the two is staggering.

TorrentIV

A Leaf on the Wind
Reaction score
Hmm, I get it. Renegade badge +25hp, 300 amp alt +25 hp (all that extra amperage makes gas more ignitiver. It's a technical term), gets 40 mpg, top speed so high it shifts to plaid...

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, my Dodge Ram 3500 Dualie Diesel only had a 160-180 amp alternator, and that was charging two heavy duty batteries to warm the element in the winter.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Being in a KJ group on Facebook, I am not surprised unfortunately. I joined that group right around when I joined this forum, and the disparity of information between the two is staggering.
Yes I am on 3 on Fakebook, they say many do not like me since I act like I know it all.
No, just trying to give the OP the correct information

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I am on 3 on Fakebook, they say many do not like me since I act like I know it all.
No, just trying to give the OP the correct information
There’s definitely a reason I have actively tried participating here and not so much there. You’ve always shown yourself to be more knowledgeable than the vast majority of that group, like the guys in the group still telling people the rough country spacer lift is great, and definitely doesn’t need extended bump stops. That’s the kind of advice that had me waste hundreds of dollars on a suspension setup that failed in less than 6 months.

I for one would much rather ask questions here and know I’m getting experienced answers.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it came from the factory with 50 more horsepower than other models, was the only KJ given the Off Road badge, had lockers front and rear with 4.12, came stock with an inch more height than the rest, had a 300 amp alternator , and I forget what other BS he said. I tried to set him straight but he kept talking about this Jeep Liberty exOh and you could not install a Renegade light bar on any other model since it takes spacial wiring, holes somewhere .......

I got a special edition KJ???? 50 more HP? 300 amp alt.? 1" factory lift?

D*MN SON!!!!!

I feel special now!! :D

Oh, wait, it's just bolt style flares, roof lights, leather(ish) and cloth seats (I think that's just the Renegade). Guess I'm not special. :(