At the beach...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm down visiting my sister in Jacksonville, NC for the weekend (she has wi-fi, so I'm still on line...)

I drive my Renegade from Pittsburgh to Jacksonville (about 600 miles) and got about 20.5 mpg. And my RB1 was a real asset on the trip...

Anyway, the weather is real nice, so we went to the beach. I took some pics, here is one of them:

http://ratemyjeep.orlowski.com/moblog/post.php/28

I'll post more when I get home next week.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Better enjoy that good weather whil ya got it. Looks like a rainy rest of the weekend is in store for us....

That pic looks like the south end of Topsail Island. If it is, thats where the hot fishing spot is. I used to go to Topsail all the time, and drove my Contour on that part of the beach. Took a big risk doing that though...LOL

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had never drove on sand before (you know, no beaches in Pittsburgh). It was an experience. A hidden patch of deep sand got me a little worried at first...

There was a guy in a big truck just trolling up and down the beach. My brother-in-law, a N.C. native who was with me, said he's a local who just hopes to find a stuck vehicle. He charges $35 to pull people out.

I didn't get stuck, however, much to his dismay. He'll have to earn his money elsewhere.

2003KJ

Reaction score
What kinda truck was it? I think I may know who you're talking about....LOL.

Looks like the sand was fluffier when you were down there. Last time I drove on Topsail (about 3 years ago) it was really hard and packed down, so anybody could drive on it.

I've been itchin to go down there and hang out in Topsail for a weekend. The thing I liked most about that island was everything was crammed onto one side of the island (the south side). Like when you came in off the main bridge (if you did, there are 2) everything was off to your right, and once you turned left at the light, it was almost deserted....and you could still see the PVC pipes sticking up out of the ground were the houses USED to be. Any decent hurricane always took that island off the map for a few days...LOL

But it was a nice place to go and get away from it all for a nice vacation. Not like Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle. That's like the Atlantic City of NC...LOL.

Which bridge did you go on to get on the island? The main one that swings to let shipd by, or the big one on the north side of the island were the police station is?

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He CHARGES to recover you [-X

that *****, on our last trip to rainbow Beach in QLD we recovered 2 toyotas and a Mitsubishi and its just a thing you do for a fellow 4x4 driver, you get a smile and a thanks mate and thats all the payment yu need

2003KJ

Reaction score
fouros said:

that *****, on our last trip to rainbow Beach in QLD we recovered 2 toyotas and a Mitsubishi and its just a thing you do for a fellow 4x4 driver, you get a smile and a thanks mate and thats all the payment yu need

I've never charged to pull or push people out of being stuck. I've always done it the hard way and got out and pushed them out of that snow bank they tried to plow through with their Geo, or push them out of the sand in their 2wd ranger......

2003KJ

Reaction score
fouros said:

I've never charged to pull or push people out of being stuck. I've always done it the hard way and got out and pushed them out of that snow bank they tried to plow through with their Geo, or push them out of the sand in their 2wd ranger......

2003KJ

Reaction score
fouros said:

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't recall the truck. It looked like a Ford F150, or a similar-sized Chevy. I think it was blue, and it had a large cooler attached somehow to the front. I also think they guy lived right off the beach, because when I was leaving, I was behind him, and I saw him pull into a driveway about 2 houses back.

I was on the FAR north end of the island. I came in on the large raised bridge (Rt.210) in the middle, and made a left. The far north end was the nearest place that permitted beach driving during the off season.

That part may not be Topsail, I'm not sure. I just saw some Topsail signs, and assumed it was Topsail.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Yep, I know exactly where you were. You came in by the po po station (where you took that left).

If you remember a group of condos shortly before you got to the pointe (not the crappy run down ones at the point, the group of brown looking ones before them), thats where I used to stay.