Armie - My '07 Sport 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BDEE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '07 Sport 4x4

This thread will chronicle (well maybe) the progress of my 2007 KJ Sport that I purchased around Thanksgiving 2012.

Plans for now include some AT Tires and tinted windows for starters, and down the road maybe a lift, roofrack, and some nicer wheels. Money has been tight lately, so progress is slow, but at least it looks pretty good for a mostly stock KJ. Anyway, enough words, we are all here for the pics anyway.

Earliest picture I have of it:
You must be registered for see images attach

A few recent off roading pictures at Bull Gap in MI

A few more recent pictures after a couple small modifications:

Last edited:

BDEE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks much better with the black wheels.

What did you use for paint??

Thanks, I agree!

I actually used Plasti-Dip for the wheels, the rattle can version. It sprayed pretty easily, laid down pretty even and has been holding up really well. They have been black for a few weeks now with no issue.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good.

Dave

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wolverines! Go Blue! :D

Nice lookin' KJ you got there.

Where is Bull Gap? That looks like a pretty cool spot. Might have to take my dad's AWD Astro van next time I'm in the ****** mitten.

BDEE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good.

Dave

Thank you!

Wolverines! Go Blue! :D

Nice lookin' KJ you got there.

Where is Bull Gap? That looks like a pretty cool spot. Might have to take my dad's AWD Astro van next time I'm in the ****** mitten.

Go Blue for sure!

Bull Gap is on the east side of the state (think middle knuckle on your middle finger) about three hours or so north of Detroit. It is just south east of Mio Michigan which is about 35 miles up M33 off of I-75. Its a pretty cool area, that picture up the hill is misleading, it is much steeper than the picture shows. They have a fairly large trail system there too.

davidski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was wondering what my stock rims would look like black. pretty awesome! thanks for sharing and inspiring!

BDEE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mess around on Instagram a lot, took these pictures while I was opening up the shop at work the other day.

BDEE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool pictures. :happy107:
Thank you!

This thread will mostly be updated with pictures for the time being. Once I get some better funds rolling in, the pace with mods will pick up some.

It doesn't help that the Jeep is competing with the car below for love either..

Last edited:

eemain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you remove the tires to paint the rims?

Been eyeballing those rims for a bit and got the better half to agree black just looks better with a dark Jeep.

BDEE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you remove the tires to paint the rims?

Been eyeballing those rims for a bit and got the better half to agree black just looks better with a dark Jeep.

No, I didn't remove the tires from wheels to paint the wheels. It is best to remove the wheels from the vehicle to paint them, but you can use index cards placed around the wheel between it and the tire to mask the tire off. Think short end corner stuck between wheel and tire at an angle sort of like a fan.

On a side note, I ran the KJ through the automatic wash yesterday (the full on brush kind) and the plasti-dip is holding strong.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I agree!

I actually used Plasti-Dip for the wheels, the rattle can version. It sprayed pretty easily, laid down pretty even and has been holding up really well. They have been black for a few weeks now with no issue.

Did you prime them first? If so, what did you use for that?

My Jeep is also an '07 and is the same color. I really like the look you've got going. :happy107:

(Except for that UM sticker, of course.) :rotflmao:

BDEE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you prime them first? If so, what did you use for that?

My Jeep is also an '07 and is the same color. I really like the look you've got going. :happy107:

(Except for that UM sticker, of course.) :rotflmao:

Go Blue! Haha.

With Plasti-Dip there is no need to prime, just make sure that they are clean and free of brake dust, dirt, flaking paint, etc. Plasti-Dip is meant to be removable, thus the lack of a need for primer.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I had seen that they had primer available on their website. It seemed a little confusing since it's my understanding that the Plasti-Dip can be removed. Is the primer needed just for some surfaces, or does it make the Plasti-Dip more durable or something? I've done paint work on two vehicles in my life and both were acts of desperation, so this is all pretty new to me.

BDEE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a little reading on Plasti-Dip and the consensus I have found is that the Plasti-Dip Primer is basically to increase the grip (or hold if you will) of the Plasti-Dip on whatever surface is being sprayed. Now, I also found some accounts of lug installation when you are putting the wheels back on stripping the Plasti-Dip off. It may be wise to use some of their primer, or pre-dip spray on dipyourcar.com to help fend off that issue. I havent any issues (yet anyway), but I also didnt spray in their recommended fashion to ease peeling when you want to remove. They generally recommend a couple of light coats and let dry some before going with a few more heavy coats. I went with one light coat and maybe 3 heavy coats.

Check out DipYourCar.com Plasti Dip Community Forum for any info related to using Plasti-Dip.