Are the KLs crap??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know; harsh title. But I made you click on it:gr_grin:

OK, So I've been searching for a replacement for my beloved ole KJ. And in my searching, driving, reading, asking, and web browsing; I have noticed a few oddities.

While driving a 2014 Trailhawk last Saturday, the infotainment display crapped out...just shut off and nothing. Apparently it just died (salesman, manager, service guy, nobody could get it back)
While talking to a coworker today, she mentioned that her '15 KL Limited has been back for 2 transmission issues and a new display screen.

There also seems to be a lot of KLs (mostly trailhawks, because that is what I'm searching for) that have been flagged as "manufacture defect/lemon law"
And HJ even mentioned that his KL is in the shop often.

I know we are all Jeep fans here, and want to root for the home team. And yes, I realized that every make/model has it's quirks or bad apples...but are there things about the KL that aren't up to *****?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
They didn't get them right until 2016. I wouldn't dare buy a '14 or '15. The risk of getting a bad one is just too high.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd agree. I don't regret buying mine, because with 3 other vehicles it's not too bad to jockey things around. It's not as much as dealer hog as what my 99 WJ was. It's a bit better than the LR3. I just love mine because it's exactly how I would've ordered mine from the factory. Exactly.

Plus with mine all of it's dealer trips haven't been its fault....Pishke has screwed up. Last CV axle replacement took 5 trips. Got them updated to the new style (2017 and up has them for sure, I don't know about 2016) back in March. Passenger side one was flinging grease back in early July. It went like this: Diagnosis, part is in, oops they ordered the wrong part (but kept it all day and then told me to pickup it up) then they kept it another day and fixed it. Then went to do a tire rotation, noticed they tore out one of the body plugs on a jack point. Took it back, they ordered the plug and said they'll call when it's in. Went in 2 weeks after not getting a call and they gave it to me.

Another trip was it had been in for an O2 sensor leak that had happened at the previous dealer with the old owner, one of them was cross threaded when they replaced the transmission. Pishke eventually figured it out after a few trips of saying just ignore the CEL since it doesn't hurt anything. They fixed it but also didn't mount the exhaust properly which resulted in horrible noises going over bumps.

So if we had a good dealer here, my KL would've been in the shop a lot less...but Pishke screws up. A lot.

I'm considering using Sleepy Hollow from now on...got it at Brenengan's in Tomah, they were nice but I'm not driving it that far for warranty stuff.

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard, the Pishke in West Salem is much better for service. A coworker does a lot of Jeep Jamboree stuff recommends using them instead of the downtown Lacrosse location.
The salesman, Kent, in Lacrosse is a goldmine of Jeep information. I've never hit him with a question that he couldn't answer off the top of his head. I have him keeping an eye out for a 2012-13 GC Laredo E with Quadratrac II.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I took the KJ there once, for an alignment. Might have to try them for the KL next time.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if they made a trailhawk with the 3.2 and the 6spd stick behind it, then they'd be awesome. otherwise they're crap. :D and I still can't warm up to the weird ass front lighting arrangement.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I might as well be at 6 months. Due to an unfortunate circumstance, I've had to pile a TON of miles on it already. :(

I have been to Indiana though.

if they made a trailhawk with the 3.2 and the 6spd stick behind it, then they'd be awesome. otherwise they're crap. :D and I still can't warm up to the weird ass front lighting arrangement.

Actually, that would be a pretty sweet setup. But I think the automatic is required for the 4WD system. I want to say that there are 6 Speed stick AWDs in other countries.

Latest posts

Members online