Arb bumpers and insurance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have to let your insurance company know if you install an arb bumper on your jeep? If anyone has or knows, does it make your rates go up or down? Im going to call them up if I decide to get one, but just seeing what anyone else knows.
Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mines insured so they know I have it also have hit a few things with police reports and nothing was ever said. One highway patrol after seeing me hit one deer said if more vehicles had stronger bumpers instead of plastic he'd write way fewer reports. :happy175:

He had to slow for the deer and just when I saw him slowing down I saw the deer...........too late, but no damage

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom you actually have your bumper insured for replacement price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah my insurance knows about,couldn't tell you if it raised my rate or not as I also let them know about the $26,000 the SFA cost also at the same time,all insured for replacement cost and they have every reciept.

If you do not tell your insurance company they may or may not pay to replace it if it ever needs to be replaced from a accident.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I wonder if he meant from less of a cost point, but them saying no because of the increased liability if you hit someone, and how it, according to them isn't compatible with the air bag system.

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All insurers want to know of any modifications made to your vehicle that are not OEM and take it away from standard, OEM spec - that includes bumpers, any other armour, and any performance mods. Whether or not it makes a difference to your premium is up to the insurer. The last time I renewed, one company (which said it welcomed modified vehicles), thought my mods were too much and wouldn't cover it. As you can see, my mods are not exactly extensive or radical. My own insurer couldn't see that they made any difference, and gave me a good quote, so I stuck with them.

Failure to inform an insurer of mods is usually a ground for them to withdraw cover in the event of a claim. That's the case over here - knowing insurance companies (and I've acted for a few over the years), I'd be fairly surprised if that wasn't the case where you are.

Last edited:

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone! I will be calling mine in the next few days. They have an option for modified vehicles online, but I wanted to know what they considered a modification. Also, was wondering if any would give you lower or higer premiums. Mabye an arb bumper would be safer and give you lower rates, as an alarm system would or abs brakes would.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone! I will be calling mine in the next few days. They have an option for modified vehicles online, but I wanted to know what they considered a modification. Also, was wondering if any would give you lower or higer premiums. Mabye an arb bumper would be safer and give you lower rates, as an alarm system would or abs brakes would.

you would think that but when I told Farm Bureau about the ARB they said my rates would go up because of the damage the ARB would cause to other vehicles if I hit them. :pp: They are the only company that said that though

NCC-1864

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran into a mini van last winter.
took the money from the insurance ,bought a ARB bumper.
install and send them a picture of it ,to prove the repair had been done.
So they know.