Aquariums

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Clyde Frog, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Clyde Frog

Clyde Frog Full Access Member

I don't know if anyone else does any fish keeping around here, but I'm about to graduate my little baby 5 gallon to a 29 gallon. I dipped into my Libby Lift fund to get the stand and livestock ordered...oops :pp:

The Baby:
    [​IMG]

The Big Boy:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One cerith snail on the glass, the other on the rock in the background, blue leg hermit crab at the bottom in the sand:
    [​IMG]

Tiny hermit!:
    [​IMG]

I'd love to see anyone else's tanks! Freshwater or marine :)

2. Ry' N Jen

Ry' N Jen Banned

Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
    An aquarium and 11 cat's don't mix!

3. J&K

J&K New Member

Hey Clyde Frog! Are you cycling a SW tank? If so let me know if you have any questions.....I have been a SW FOWLR and Reef tank keeper for over 15 years. I currently have an 80 gallon SW fish/reef tank. Ill post a few pics later....I also have a 29 gallon (which will be an all reef tank) that I'm going to rebuild soon (but I need to confirm that I'm not moving or getting relocated in the next 2 years)

Regards,

J

4. KYLiberty

KYLiberty Full Access Member

How's your aquarium going?

I used to have a bunch of aquariums, but have been on a break for the last 12-13 years. I just started building a 29 gallon Oceanic BioCube last week. I added 20 lbs of live sand and about 28 lbs live rock to it on the 11th and 13th. The diatom bloom started on the 15th. Green algae started growing on the 18th, and I added my cleanup crew and some macros yesterday on the 19th. It consists of 6 small blue legged hermits, 6 small to medium nerite snails, and more dwarf cerith snails than I can count. I only ordered 20 of them, but probably received 120. I'll be pulling most of the ceriths out once the cleanup job is done and taking them to a local store. The macros consist of some halimeda, red gracilaria, green ulva, and grape caulerpa. The caulerpa came in a little mushy, but once it heals up I'll trim it up and place it. Ammonia and Nitrite are at 0, and Nitrate is close enough to 0 that I can't measure it. Calcium is at 420 and pH is at 8.2. Specific gravity is at 1.024.

4-13-12

[​IMG]

4-19-12 Cleanup Crew Added

[​IMG]

4-20-12 1 Day of Cleanup

[​IMG]

I figure it will take a 7-10 day cleanup and then should be ready to start adding some mushrooms, ricordeas, and zoanthids.

Update
    4-23-12 Cleanup continues, won't be long now

[​IMG]

4-26-12 Cleanup crew has done a great job. Gave about 60-70 of the dwarf ceriths to the girl at the fish store to cleanup her new tank.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  5. KYLiberty

Started making additions yesterday. I added some blue mushrooms, green frilly mushrooms, and green star polyps. I have some very nice rics and zoas coming, and some LED lighting upgrades later this week. Starting to take shape, but I have a very long way to go.

[​IMG]

6. KYLiberty

I've added a Royal Gramma, a pair of Darwin Clowns, a Pygmy Angel, and a Peppermint Shrimp. Everybody gets along well and eats well. There is an assortment of purple, pink, orange, green, and rainbow Ricordea Floridas, and a couple Ricordea Yumas. There are a couple soft coral frags including a Leather and a Colt. There is an assortment of Zoanthids, and I have some Superman, and some Fire and Ice Zoas on the way. There are some Metalic Green Star Polyps, Green Frilly Mushrooms, and Blue Mushrooms. Just about ready to let the tank start growing out and start a new tank.

[​IMG]

The Superman and Fire and Ice Zoas came in today.

[​IMG]

Just about done adding to the tank. Time to let it grow and fill in.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  7. KYLiberty

Did some aquascaping and upgraded to all LED lighting. Also added some LPS corals.

[​IMG]

Everything seems to be doing well. Opening up a lot now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  8. KYLiberty

Just started a new tank for the bedroom.

[​IMG]

9. KYLiberty

Added another one in the office.

[​IMG]

10. jeeper4life

jeeper4life Full Access Member

I thought about starting my tank back up a couple days ago, I have always had freshwater, how hard is it to have a saltwater tank? I have heard they are a lot of work.

11. KYLiberty

Saltwater is more detailed and expensive, but can be much more interesting because of the diversity of life when you build a reef tank. It really isn't too much more work than a planted freshwater. You just have a few more details to pay attention to, but since the reef tanks can be so interesting, taking care of the details doesn't tend to seem so much like a chore.

12. KYLiberty

Here's another one in my living room.

Now:

[​IMG]

6 Months Ago:

[​IMG]

13. JOHN_J

JOHN_J New Member

Each time I would buy an aquarium, in 2 weeks I already wanted to get rid of it