Anyone's battery/Starter inexplicably die?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im at 75550 miles(orig Chrysler batt, needs replacing anyway huh) and after running no issues for months and no warning signs, my KJ decided it didn't want to leave the parking garage after dinner...Batt was dead (didn't leave anything on, no lights radio or CB), and when we went to go jump it, the Neg terminal was very corroded and we cleaned it with a knife, before we attached the leads. Jumping doesnt charge the batt, and doesn't help the starter any, it just clicks, hammering on starter didn't do anything either.

Gonna replace Batt, and the leads tomorrow, anyone have anything similar happen or any ideas?

OH plus, check it, my tow hooks work :-D

You must be registered for see images

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Uh, the magnets in modern starters are a lot more fragile than those of the past...

But, ain't ThunderbirdJunkie's ride home :)

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea. the same exact thing happened to me a week ago right in front of my house. i didint leave anything on and the battery terminals were not corroded at all i was gonna go move my jeep for the street sweeper. when i clicked my alarm it started acting funny. i put my dmm (digital multimeter for u non gear heads) on the battery i had 12 volts i thought my battery was fine. then i told my friend to crank it while i had the dmm hooked up and only got 5 volts. i was thinking that was just the ignition kill of the alarm. so i called up the place where i got the alarm and they told me my battery is dead. then the street sweeper came and the guy in the parking authority jeep was honking the horn and telling me to move it. i told him i cant go anywhere my battery is dead. so he gave me an empty ticket and told me to act angry. then i called aaa to jump start it. i let it idle for a half hour and right when i put it in gear to go to autozone to get a new battery it dies on me. so i took the old battery out gave it to my mom to go to autozone to get a new one. i had to stay behind with my jeep because i had lowered the windows when i got it jump started and i couldnt put them up. so $90 and a half hour later she comes back with a new duralast yellow top battery. right when i connected the negative battery cable my alarm went off and i banged my head on the hood and my ears started ringing because i was not expecting it to go off. then i started the jeep up and she ran perfectly. mine was on the original chrysler battery also it lasted the jeep 6 years and me only 1. it only has 42000 miles.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the terminal is corroded that bad then that could be the issue. Take it off, clean it, then see if the battery needs jumping.

Ive also banged on starters with no issues.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Connections have to be clean. Batteries will fail suddenly on modern cars with alarms, keyless entry, etc. Sometimes after only 3 years or so.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
true. but my grandfather must have a super battery in his 96 buick lesabre. 13 years and only 35000 with the factory battery.

GM AC Delco battery. Mine lasted 7 years and 145,000 miles or so in the Cutlass.

Dave

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to mine. Ran a battery test. spit out bade cell in battery. bought an optima red top and have been running smooth since.

Latest posts

Members online