Anyone know what this is?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GKreamer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having the low coolant problem in my 2005 Liberty Sport. I've had to add @ 1 gallon in the past few days but cannot find a leak anywhere. I decided to clean the engine since it was dirty and so that I can hopefully better see a possible leak. This morning I moved the Liberty out of the garage- no visible puddles under the truck.

When I opened the hood to look around I saw this part on top of the engine on the passenger side on top of the intake manifold.

Numbers on the part:

126AA
>PA66<

Here are pics:

Attachments

• DSCN0013.jpg
    DSCN0013.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN0015.jpg
    DSCN0015.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN0014.jpg
    DSCN0014.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0016.jpg
    DSCN0016.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

GKreamer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More pics

Took a few pictures of the engine bay and where I found the mystery part. I also may have found the leak:

First pic shows approx where I found the mystery part
2nd pic shows coolant leaking from bottom of rad (I think)

Attachments

• DSCN0018 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0018 (Small).JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN0021 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0021 (Small).JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That part goes down into the oil filler tube. I believe they added that to help keep down the 'sludge' that forms in the filler neck and freaks people out.

Where did that rad cap come from? Are you sure thats the right cap for the liberty?

Looks like youve got a bad water pump. Those are covered under the 7yr/70k miles warranty with a $100 deductible.

Edit: If its the water pump then it probably only leaks when its running, thats why there isnt a puddle after it sits overnight.

Check out the sides of the radiator also. They have plastic sides that sometimes crack and leak.

Make sure G-05 coolant is used.

Last edited:

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did that get out of the oil fill tube? The radiator cap should 16psi, i believe. Make sure that the new cap is rated at the correct pressure (don't open when its hot!!) Having to add 1 gallon is in a few days, that a pretty bad leak. If your still under warranty take it to the dealership.

Edit: What is the d-ring shaped tab on top of the part?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That lets you pull it out of the oil filler tube.

Someone probably felt the need to take it out while changing the oil and left it out on accident.

GKreamer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That part goes down into the oil filler tube. I believe they added that to help keep down the 'sludge' that forms in the filler neck and freaks people out.

Where did that rad cap come from? Are you sure thats the right cap for the liberty?

Looks like youve got a bad water pump. Those are covered under the 7yr/70k miles warranty with a $100 deductible.

Edit: If its the water pump then it probably only leaks when its running, thats why there isnt a puddle after it sits overnight.

Check out the sides of the radiator also. They have plastic sides that sometimes crack and leak.

Make sure G-05 coolant is used.

I don't know how that part would up on top of the engine. I did the last oil change and it was not in the oil filler neck. Prior to that last oil change it was done by Wal-Mart, maybe he pulled it to add oil then forgot to replace?

Radiator cap is a replacement that was recommended to me because of the lever that allows you to depressurize the system when still warm. Supposed to be a safety feature, perhaps a bad idea? I stil have the factory one. In fact I had not had any coolant issues prior to replacing the cap.

I did look at the sides but see no wetness that would indicate a leak. It does seem that the leak only occurs while the engine is running, so maybe the water pump is the culprit.

Out of factory warranty- @85K miles on the Libby, but I did buy an extended warranty that "should" cover this issue (hopefully).

GKreamer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That lets you pull it out of the oil filler tube.

Someone probably felt the need to take it out while changing the oil and left it out on accident.

I cleaned up the part a little and put it back into the oil filler neck. Like I said earlier it was not in there when I changed the oil @ two months ago. That thing must have been sitting there for almost six months since the wife had the oil changed at Wal-Mart. Don't think that I'll ever go there again for an oil change...

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of factory warranty- @85K miles on the Libby, but I did buy an extended warranty that "should" cover this issue (hopefully).

Wow...85K on a 2005, that a lot of driving. I don't even have that on my 2002. Don't think the radiator cap would cause a leak, just make sure it is rated at 16psi. Should be written on the cap. If the extended warranty doesn't cover the water pump, its not to hard to replace yourself.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as the cap is rated at the right PSI is should be ok. If its rated for a higher psi its possible it caused the leak.

Water pumps are a normal wear item so its not abnormal to have one go bad.

That extended warranty should cover it, thats what its for isnt it? :)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Advice: If that cap is not rated for 16PSI, I'd get that replaced first before getting that fixed because that's a good way for a denial of warranty service.

GKreamer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...85K on a 2005, that a lot of driving. I don't even have that on my 2002.

Yep, we bought in in Sept. '04 with 21 miles on the odometer. We live in the country... 25 miles to the closest Wal-Mart Supercenter, 30 miles round trip to church, school. It adds up fast!

The Jeep has been awesome. No major issues or really any issues until now. So, no real reason to be upset or surprised. I figured the timing belt/chain needs to be done soon anyways.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepkj02Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreamer
I figured the timing belt/chain needs to be done soon anyways.

The liberty has a timing chain, so it should last the lifetime of the vehicle. Not like Honda's timing belt were it has to be replaced every 100K
Just FYI the 3.7 has 3 timing chains,they should be good for at least 150,000miles if not more.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that looks like a water pump issue, could just be gasket related. i didnt read the rest of the posts, I am sure someone already said this though :)

GKreamer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is at the dealer right now. Had my wife top off the coolant reservoir and put the original cap back on. Spoke to the service tech who said that they see no leak whether the engine is running or not and that the had to add @3qts. of coolant themselves. Said that it could be the head gasket. They are still looking.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is at the dealer right now. Had my wife top off the coolant reservoir and put the original cap back on. Spoke to the service tech who said that they see no leak whether the engine is running or not and that the had to add @3qts. of coolant themselves. Said that it could be the head gasket. They are still looking.

of course it looks like a head gasket to them, that is more money in their pocket.

one would think you would have other signs of head gasket issues, if that were the case.

good luck, and if they say head gasket, get a second opinion.

Latest posts

Members online