Anyone have experience with Fumoto oil pan drain plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zak

Reaction score
Just for convenience I was checking out the Fumoto oil drain plugs. They're basically just a drain plug + a valve, so you press a lever on the plug and it lets oil drain out. Seems like a really convenient way to just hook up a section of fuel hose to the plug and drain the oil without the mess or the hassle of potentially stripping the plug.

Anyway when I put in my vehicle info on the website, it linked me to a M14-1.5 bolt, but the OE KJ plug is M13-1.5. So I'm a little confused as to why this is. Note that I have an '04 KJ with a 3.7L.

Does anyone have experience with these plugs or a similar plug? Is Fumoto the best brand out there?

Here's a link to the plug/valve that's supposed to fit my KJ:
F106N | Fumoto® Engine Oil Drain Valves

Thanks!

Zak

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a go to for the gas engines, a few on the CRD section on lost use(d) them. Something not awsome about the crd oil pan that i can't recall provided the motivation.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're worried about stripping it just use a box end wrench or line wrench of the right size... it's not really much easier to have to get down and hook up a hose than it is to loosen a bolt is it?.. I understand about the mess or convenience.. but realistically if you loosen the bolt slow and take it off by hand carefully at the end it should only get on like.. 2 fingers about an inch up.. or wear gloves?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
CRDs have a cast aluminum oil pan with a tight allen head plug. The pan threads get boogered up easily and Fumoto drain valves are the easiest fix; easier than pulling the engine to install a new oil pan.

Run an M14 x 1.5 tap into the old threads to clean them up and screw the Fumoto valve in tight and the threads never get bothered with again.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh. That makes sense. I remember seeing the Allen head plug in the crd oil change how to on here a little while back but never quite understood why the Allen head.
Thank you for clearing that up for me though, my bad :pokeowned:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When these were not exactly new, but not old either, a lot of people on the bobistheoilguy.com forum used and liked them.

They're handy for taking a sample of oil from the sump without having to extract if from the top, or drain more than you need and fumble trying to stick the drain plug bolt back in while making a mess of everything.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use one on my gasser, no complaints, quick and easy

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told to avoid these if you enjoy playing in the mud (which I do). Could get it clogged up. Any truth to this from users?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
They stick out and have a groove cut in the side for the drain lever sticking out so crud could pack in there. They could also be wiped off the pan or a magic twig could manipulate the drain lever past the groove lock notch dumping oil. I guess a skidplate would keep it safe.

My vague memory tells me Fumoto valves are used on fleet vehicles to speed maintenance and stop stripped oil pan threads.

My parts CRD has one. Works nicely. Worst, thickest oil I've ever seen came out of that poor engine.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told to avoid these if you enjoy playing in the mud (which I do). Could get it clogged up. Any truth to this from users?
If you have skids, nothing to worry about it, give it a pressure blast if you're worried after mudding just to be sure it doesn't dry on i guess.

If you don't have skids i wouldn't recommend getting the drain plug but i wouldn't recommend any wheeling that would possible bump it in that case anyways

mkarns02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drain Plug ?

This may be a really dumb question, but I'll ask anyway......

Is it possible or are there any products out there to install a similar drain plug for the '07 Liberty automatic transmission oil pan?

That would be GREAT if it's possible.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've welded bungs into pans before to allow them to be drained before dropping the pan , makes changes slightly less messy, any decent shop should be able to do it for you next time you change your transmission fluid and filter and have the pan off.

mkarns02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any guess on approximately how much fluid would drain off.

I see aftermarket pans with drain plugs already installed.....

Thanks so much!

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't think of the brand name, but there's a transmission on you can get which will have a drain plug installed and also holds an extra quart of fluid to help keep the fluid temps down.
Worth looking into if you'll be dropping the pan or changing the fluid/filter anytime soon.

I know HoosierJeeper knows, but can't recall with threads he mentioned the name in.

Latest posts