Anyone have a problem with a Purolator A/F?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

demarpaint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have any 08 Liberty which needed an air filter, easy job. I bought an air filter a few years back on sale. I typically keep items like that on hand when I can get them on sale. I went to install it today and much to my surprise it's a fraction of an inch too long which won't allow it to sit flat in the air filter box. Lining it up to the OE filter it's about 1/16th of an inch too big, making forcing it into the air box and forcing the latches down to close it the only way to get it in. No thanks to that. Has anyone had this problem? I tried two of them and both are the same.

If a Fram won't fit I'll order a Mann.

Thanks!

scottg

Reaction score
from their site, it should be:
Height 2.29
Width 9.06
Length 11.48

Fram extra guard CA10228
Height 2.305
Length 11.485
Style 192
Width 9.062

I would confirm your measurements on your Purolator, could have been switched in box, or just a bad batch. I usually run Fram in mine or Wix, and have not had issues on fitment.

demarpaint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from their site, it should be:
Height 2.29
Width 9.06
Length 11.48

Fram extra guard CA10228
Height 2.305
Length 11.485
Style 192
Width 9.062

I would confirm your measurements on your Purolator, could have been switched in box, or just a bad batch. I usually run Fram in mine or Wix, and have not had issues on fitment.

I tried two of them, both were the same size and the correct part #. I also tried a Fram this morning, which was a slightly better fit [a bit smaller than the 2 Purolator filters I tried] but still not right. I have to force the latches to close, and the filter has a tiny wave in it making the gasket not seal properly like the OE Mann filter does. I ordered the Mann 05189933AA which is what came with it when it was new. Hopefully it fits as good as the one that's in there does, and no changes in dimensions were made.

When you place them over the Mann filter you can see a difference in size, they're bigger. Just enough to be causing the problem I'm having. I have to say this is a first for me.

I'm not new to this, I've been working on cars and engines for over 40 years now. This is just a bit odd. Worst comes to worst I take either the Fram, or the Mann filter which ever fits better and modify it slightly and seal it so I'm 100% sure no unfiltered air is getting around it. I want to try the OE filter first before I alter the Fram and can't return it. Either way once I have the OE filter I'll have a fix. Thanks for the replies!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.