Any tire experts?

Discussion in 'Tires / Wheels' started by Showolf777, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Showolf777

Showolf777 New Member

Hey all... I had a rear passenger side flat on my 2006 Liberty yesterday. I was headed out to work and drive approx 2000 feet on the rim before realizing it and went back home. I used fix a flat and took it to a tire shop and had it patched for a small nail. My concern is the sidewall has a section that the black rubber wore off and is showing the under-layer. It is not deep at all just the black rubber was rubbed off. Is this significant for a chance of a blowout? Or just cosmetic?

I took a few pics. One is when I discovered the flat. And a few others tonight showing the area that is scraped. My phone’s camera isn’t the greatest but I tried to get close ups.

I am surprised the tire tech that repaired the flat did not mention the scraping!

Attached Files:

2. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I would not run that , maybe for a spare but not on a daily drive

ltd02 and LibertyTC like this.
  3. LibertyTC

LibertyTC Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

That sidewall doesn't look good. The interior steel support ring could be damaged.
    May I recommend a different use for that tire?
    [​IMG]
    :)

ltd02 likes this.
  4. kejobe

kejobe Full Access Member

I've seen worse on the road, BUT, personally I would not run it daily. As mentioned, use it as a spare. Better to be safe, for you, kids, spouse, others on the road, etc.