Any ideas what might be causing this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, stopped this afternoon for gas, and after I had filled up, I was getting ready to pull out into traffic, mashed the gas, and nothing. Once I finally got it going, had to floor it and leave it there to keep it at around 35 mph. I had not made any sharp turns, the engine wasn't too hot, only been driven a half a mile or so, and I didn't have it in reverse. Tomorrow I am going to take it out and see if it was fluke, but I feel that it probably wasn't, as it didn't clear up on the way home. Anybody got any ideas?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
did ur check engine light go on?
did it seem like u were on first gear the whole time?

sounds like u were in limp mode...

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, it does sound like that to me as well, but there were no lights, and the transmission was definately not in first, I know it shifted at least once because I felt it...it was a rough shift :-k

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yeh..eerily sounds like what it felt when i went to limp mode....
hard jerk when shifting and seems like ur on first gear (even when ur in D)
tho....my check engine light came on....

have them check it out...

chefdab

Reaction score
Was the e-brake set? I made that mistake once. Didn't realize why it wasn't accelerating much then I looked down and noticed the handle up. Quickly disengaged it and sped up immediately.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chefdab said:
Was the e-brake set? I made that mistake once. Didn't realize why it wasn't accelerating much then I looked down and noticed the handle up. Quickly disengaged it and sped up immediately.

That would have been embarassing. No I checked it, it wasn't the problem. :alien:

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you checked it..... but it sounds like the time I accidentally shifted into 2nd.... it didn't want to go anywhere. I was freaking out and ready to send it back to Jeep until I realized it was my problem. :alien:

checking the error code could help.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be bad gas, but my whole family shops at this station, and no one else is having this problem. I will take it for a drive tomorrow and if it is still doing it I will check for codes and see what I get. Thanks for all the help =D>

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, just wanted to let everyone know what has happened with this issue. It is now gone, no codes, no check engine light, and no problems. Been driving it today without issue. So I don't know what has happened with it, but I am not going to worry about it, unless it happens again. What does everyone think about this, and does anyone else have any other ideas given this new info? ](*,)

2003KJ

Reaction score
My vote goes for bad gas. The Jeep Manual even says the KJ's are picky about their gas. Although, I'm surprised no codes were thrown if it was in limp mode. hmmmmm. Intresting indeed :-k

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
My vote goes for bad gas. The Jeep Manual even says the KJ's are picky about their gas. Although, I'm surprised no codes were thrown if it was in limp mode. hmmmmm. Intresting indeed :-k

yeah, I am stumped too, but I guess it could be the gas, though as I said, I always buy my gas there :-k

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so I got a question, if it is bad gas, why would it run fine today and not last Friday? Wouldn't the gas still be bad? I must be missing something confused2.gif

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if your tank got low that you would notice it more, being that water floats to the top and got sucked in? confused.gif

How full was your tank when it happened? Water in a diesel makes them smoke and run rough.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had run the tank almost all the way down to the gas light right before I filled it, maybe that is what caused it.

littledude

Reaction score
my moms dodge van did that we took it in and it was the sensor to tell it when to shift but i dont know alot about jeeps(yet) cuz im new here but thats just a suggestion.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I haven't gotten it to do it again, thank goodness. I am keeping my fingers crossed. [-o<

Latest posts

Members online