Any aftermarket radio that will work with steering wheel controls?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Not a radio guru here by any means. I did a bit of searching but figured I would save myself the headache and ask. Not sure if its been asked before. Now I would like to hook up my phone for music to my radio but am sick of the tape thing and would like to do so through USB so I started looking at aftermarket radios. Does anyone know of any that I could still use my steering wheels controls? I really like having them as I am the type of person that can get distracted if I have to reach and look at the radio.

Or would I be better off with a factory unit plus an Ipod interface through Mopar? Or do they not make one? I thought I saw somehwere that they did. Any help would be great or any recommendations. Thanks guys.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used one of these with a Kenwood HU.
PAC SWI-JACK Steering wheel control interface for Alpine, Clarion, JVC, and Kenwood at Crutchfield.com
They are compatible with other brands as well. I personally like the Pioneer in my other car better than the Kenwood.

The programming procedure for the PAC unit is very detailed and the guys at the car audio place where I bought it said that a lot of people have trouble with it, but I found as long as I read the procedure thoroughly and walked through the whole thing before actually beginning, it all went very easy.
The instructions also listed a website which provided instructions specifically for the Jeep which made it even easier.

adclem

Reaction score
My Kenwood Excelon KDC-X996 along with the PAC SWI-RC and my steering wheel controls work perfectly with this setup.

Also with this ready you can stream your music to the head unit via blue tooth or you can connect it via USB. You can play music off of your phones SD Card or stream Pandora radio directly to it as well.

Works very well and sounds excellent.

Members online