Anti-Lock Brake malf.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ABS will turn on when there's nothing but bone-dry pavement under the tires. Seems like some sort of computer glitch.

Might I have a dead sensor somewhere? Has anyone else dealt with this?
It's not throwing any codes right now either.

I'm thinking of replacing the OEM Battery to see if that sorts it out.

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it do it at all speed while you are stopping or only under a certain MPH? Check to see if any of your tone rings are cracked. I have seen them cracked just a bit before and it fools with the abs.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the common issue that GM full sizes have,heard of it in some newer Jeeps also_One,or both front unit bearings has corrosion inside on the tone rings causing the un-wanted ABS function when stopping on dry pavement normally.The only way to fix is by replacing the hub bearings and ABS sensors.

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks fellas, I go in for some reg scheduled maintenance next Mon, I'll have the mechanic check the tone rings

P.S. Just so you don't think I'm ********:

"I'm thinking of replacing the OEM Battery to see if that sorts it out."

On here a while back, folks were talking about crazy electrical shenanigans when the battery is about ready to poop. 5 year old battery . . . meh, why not.

Last edited:

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have to agree here. This was a major problem with all first gen escapes. The tone rings are pressed on. Once water gets in behind them they rust and crack. The crack when picked up by your abs sensor registers a slightly different a/c signal because the gap between teeth is greater in just one spot (speed difference) and your ABS system then engages because it thinks you are slipping. The ABS does not stop engaging because even though its on, the gap in the ring is still registered as a slip by the sensor and the ABS module, right up until you stop the vehicle. We used to be able to find and replace just the rings. $10 part and about 2 hours of labour. Not sure if this sort of issue diagnosis and transferable between the liberty but its worth looking into.

Here is a pic that might help you locate a problem with your liberty.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have to agree here. This was a major problem with all first gen escapes. The tone rings are pressed on. Once water gets in behind them they rust and crack. The crack when picked up by your abs sensor registers a slightly different a/c signal because the gap between teeth is greater in just one spot (speed difference) and your ABS system then engages because it thinks you are slipping. The ABS does not stop engaging because even though its on, the gap in the ring is still registered as a slip by the sensor and the ABS module, right up until you stop the vehicle. We used to be able to find and replace just the rings. $10 part and about 2 hours of labour. Not sure if this sort of issue diagnosis and transferable between the liberty but its worth looking into.

Here is a pic that might help you locate a problem with your liberty.
You must be registered for see images
The front tone rings in a KJ are a internal part of the sealed unit bearings,you must replace the whole unit bearing to replace the tone ring.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BBOOO to the Libertys internal rings... well that ***** a while bearing assembly for a silly ring lol.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am so glad the 2004 I bought has no Abs-Esp-Tpm.
The extra parts &maintenance, with lights on and computer related expenses, proves why people trade their vehicles after warranty is expired.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do agree with you about the extra cost and maintenance but I feel much safer when my wife drives the jeep with all those extras as she had a near fatal accident last year (which is why we have the Jeep). Sometimes safety is worth a little extra $