AntennaX reception question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So since I got a new car wash membership, even though my stock antenna only bends slightly in the wash, I'd like to replace it with something a little more flexible. I've seen plenty of threads reccomending the AntennaX brand, but not much on what the reception is like vs. stock. I live in central NJ, and listen to mostly NYC channels, so losing reception would be bad.

Thanks in advance.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The shorty 13" antenax flexible is ok, but still the OEM whip has better reception for distance.
One benefit of the shorty while cleaning windshield, is that you don't get the whip in the armpit! :D
You must be registered for see images attach

I never was impressed with the OEM Radios, weak, no wattage in the cottage.
Went with a Pioneer more powerful & better reception.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My reception has been getting worse over time with the 13" antennax shorty.
Well..got rust, bad seal?...
Also Antenna x Jep-21 is same as others listed in photo, notice the adapter which is included to fit KJ & others.
Replaced with new antenna JEP-18 going to use some silicone ASAP.
Fit and finish is lacking here. A short loaded steel whip would probably be better.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, reading the reviews of the Jep21 is what made me ask. Someone has my exact same jeep and said:

"Perfectly fit my 2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade and perfectly added the sounds of an infinite cat hiss and four large pans of frying bacon. The problem is, it looks cool enough to consider not using the radio anymore..."

And it looks like the rust and bad connection is a ongoing problem:

"If you have to email the guy about an adaptor (like we did for our 2002 Jeep Liberty), then he sends it to you but It also doesnt really fit, water can leak in. Somehow my boyfriend fixed that on ours though. Definitely notice some stations don't come in as well."

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The Jep-18 is no longer rubber- Hard plastic only now..
The base dummy load may also explain reception issues. :rolleyes:

Surely there must be some quality rubber flexible shorty's out there for purchase ??

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
In the amateur radio world rubber antennas (rubber ducks) are not well regarded. Generally thought of as a marginal antenna that fits in your pocket well on a handy-talky.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it seems like my best bet is to just keep taking off the antenna before I take it through the wash....

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Or consider a touchless car wash which is occasionally what I use.
I prefer to wash at home.
The oem whip recieves stations way better.
I tried the oem yesterday and it was way clearer.