Antenna X

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those who aren't too fond of the tree-branch-tangling, rattling stock antenna, I found a nice, cheap replacement radio antenna on eBay for $18 or less, S&H included.

http://antennax.com

These antennas are shorter and still receive as much reception as our stock antennas (well, at least I haven't heard any difference).

They are colored black and go well with Liberty's appearance overall.

Their adapters inlclude a match with our Liberty's antenna base (well, for 2005 models; don't know if earlier models have different stock antennas).
[UPDATE: I'm referring to the 15" OEM style; not the Euro]

The only problem is you can't use a wrench to tighten it.

I figure this is a simple & cheap way to go for an antenna replacement.

thx1138

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kewllllll!

Sweeeeeet!...I just ordered one...it will fit my Libby's theme perfectly....muhahahahaha! ahem....I mean..er...I hope it gets as good reception as the factory antenna. (libwhite) (whistle)

thx1138

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I finally got my antenna from antennax today and was kinda bummed that I had to remove the collar on the bottom of the mast to make it fit correctly. But its definately kewl looking and seems to function like the old antenna. I haven't taken it out around any fringe areas for some FM stations yet but will report when I do so to check for performance. 8-[

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that it's any big deal, but I'm curious how well it picks up stations, particularly in the outlying areas.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I finally got my antenna from antennax today and was kinda bummed that I had to remove the collar on the bottom of the mast to make it fit correctly. But its definately kewl looking and seems to function like the old antenna.

That's strange...I didn't have to remove anything when I installed mine. I just took out the factory antenna, placed the biggest adapter that came with the pack and just screwed right back on. Hmm...05 Renegades differ? (Aeh)

Not that it's any big deal, but I'm curious how well it picks up stations, particularly in the outlying areas.

Sorry, can't answer that, really...living overseas in a tiny country. But to me it seems it's the same reception as the stock antenna.

thx1138

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...could there be a difference? Cuz I HAD to remove the collar or sleeve if you like from the mast or it would not clear the antenna mount. It was just a smidgen but it was enuff to not let the mast line up correctly. I'll take a pic when i have time.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...could there be a difference? Cuz I HAD to remove the collar or sleeve if you like from the mast or it would not clear the antenna mount. It was just a smidgen but it was enuff to not let the mast line up correctly. I'll take a pic when i have time.

Uhhh, you didn't by any chance get the "Euro-Style Flexible Rubber Antenna", did you? :-k

Oops! I should have mentioned from the beginning that I was reviewing the "15-in OEM Whip Replacement Mast". These look exactly like our OEM antennas; just shorter and black.

SORRY! 8-[

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laugh, I also bought the Euro-style mast. Yes, I did have to remove the housing on the base of the antenna in order for it to fit correctly.

They have a return policy, maybe I'll call them up and see if I can just do an exchange. Euro-style doesn't look bad at all, but as thx1138 said, "I'm not impressed by it.

thx1138

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I should have posted this 2 weeks ago...d'oh! Anyhoo, I've since gone back to my OEM antenna. The antennax euro did not pick up signals all that well compared to the stock antenna. I did however try an experiment with my stock one. Using a black paint pen, I painted it black. I realize this might kill its signal properties...but danged if I can tell if there is any loss in signal strength. It might not be as cool as the euro style, but it looks better than when it was stainless or whatever color it was. Seriously, if you're into your radio don't buy the euro antenna...it just doesn't cut it as far as picking up a signal. [-(

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed my antennax and am more than pleased. I got the recommended 15" OEM replacement version, and it installed easily w/the large adaptor. I tried the radio (Pioneer Super Tuner) and tuned it in to a "fringe" FM station located about 50 mi. from home. This station had originally come in with static and lacked in audio quality, but not anymore. Crystal clear! The real kicker is what it did for my XM radio! I installed a RoadyII (running it wireless)and since day one it's basically sounded like crap. Lotta static, etc. I use the same Roady on my motorcycle and it works great. Lo and behold, the Roady now sounds 200% better and is really a joy to listen to. I noticed that there was quite a bit of corrosion and loctite on the stock antenna's threads. Perhaps this was contributing to it's poor performance but in any event the new antenna is the best $20.00 I've spent in recent memory. Thumbs up!! =D>

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have the stock 15" OEM style

Works great.. I'd like to remove it all anyway. as i never listen to radio.. have an Ipod wireless FM transmit. on my nav OEM system..

I might remove the ant mount and add the side repeaters like the european models.. very cool looking

JeepnJer

Reaction score
AntennaX

Really like my shorty antennaX. No more banging tree branches. Reception is as good as stock antenna, even way out of town. Only thing is, it wasn't a simple screw on. Had to grind out a crescent-shaped notch in the base cover to let the antennaX screw all the way down. But it turned out looking good.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: AntennaX

JeepnJer said:
Really like my shorty antennaX. No more banging tree branches. Reception is as good as stock antenna, even way out of town. Only thing is, it wasn't a simple screw on. Had to grind out a crescent-shaped notch in the base cover to let the antennaX screw all the way down. But it turned out looking good.

You can remove the plastic casing from the bottom of the antenna, it pulls right off, which will then create a snug fit. I bought the shorty antennaX and this is what I did to make it fit right.

wavey.gif

richmbailey

Reaction score
Installed my AntennaX today...very easy. Used the largest adaptor and it screwed right in. All radio stations come in crystal clear.

--Rich

jarvis

Reaction score
A note of caution:

I ordered (and paid for) my antenna from antennax on March 12, and it still hasn't arrived. I'm trying to get in touch via email, and will let you know if this issue gets resolved.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually thinking of REMOVING my antenna. I never listen to regular radio anymore since I got Sirius.