Antenna types and relocation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of the antenna location and I would be interested in moving it. I like where it is on my XJ, but the hood design on the KJ prevents that location. Has anyone moved their antenna?

Also - if I'm gonna move it, I would take this opportunity to upgrade to a dual AM/FM & CB antenna. I know some people are not fans of the dual function antennas, and I can respect that. I have separate ones on my XJ. However, I'd like to minimize the number of tall pointy things sticking up off this KJ and if I can do a dual purpose antenna - all the better. Does anyone have any recommendations for a dual purpose antenna? My CB antenna on my XJ is a 3 foot firestick and it is awesome.

Thanks Y'all

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of the antenna location and I would be interested in moving it. I like where it is on my XJ, but the hood design on the KJ prevents that location. Has anyone moved their antenna?

Also - if I'm gonna move it, I would take this opportunity to upgrade to a dual AM/FM & CB antenna. I know some people are not fans of the dual function antennas, and I can respect that. I have separate ones on my XJ. However, I'd like to minimize the number of tall pointy things sticking up off this KJ and if I can do a dual purpose antenna - all the better. Does anyone have any recommendations for a dual purpose antenna? My CB antenna on my XJ is a 3 foot firestick and it is awesome.

Thanks Y'all

So the antennas themselves aren't for dual use, it's an adapter/junction box that combines the radio and cb cables into one for the antenna since am/fm is passively receiving. Some people don't like this setup as it can raise the SWR on your cb and if not corrected can damage your cb radio.

You can read about it directly from Firestik here 3-WAY (AM/FM/CB) ANTENNA

https://www.amazon.com/ProComm-Splitter-Stereo-Antenna-MultiPlexor/dp/B00HPH23LA

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
How far do you want to talk? The compromises of a combination antenna might not matter if you keep the transmit power low and only want to talk to someone a few cars away.

I have an antenna mount on the top front edge of the left rear door for 2 meter/70cm antennas. Skinny coax cable is taped to the inside of the door down to the hinge where it slacks over to the doorpost taped down to the floor, under the seat. They unscrew when I haul stuff on top. One is a multiband about 3' long that folds down to fit in the garage. It bent twice when I forgot it so I got a tiny 10" antenna because I'm forgetful. My Yaesu 10Sr(??) only puts out 10watts so it's bottom feeder sucky for radio performance. It works for me and teaches me the reception sweetspots along our few highways. If I want to be heard I can put my 50watt radio in there with the longer antenna and park on a hilltop.

Could do the same for a CB.