Another new Liberty owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Patioboater

Reaction score
Howdy, all. I just acquired a nice low-mileage 2002 Liberty, kind of accidentally. (I'll quote the story I just posted on the "How did you acquire your Liberty" thread below, if you're interested.)

Now that I've got it, I reckon I'll fix up a couple of little things and have some fun with it. I'm looking forward to ... well, probably using the "Search" feature a lot, since I suspect anything I come across will have been well discussed by now. But also looking forward to finding out more about them, finding out what folks have done with them, etc. I doubt I'll do any ambitious mods, since I'm not a particularly good or fast mechanic. But this little Jeep looks as if it might be reasonably easy for a guy like me to work on, so we'll see how it goes.

How I got it:
I was looking around late last year for something to get my father back on the road, since his old pickup had died more than a year ago. I was looking for something with four-wheel drive that would be a good winter driver for him. Since I was going to own it and loan it to him I wanted something with reasonably low miles, so it didn't become a maintenance pit. After a bit of searching I came across a nice, clean 2002 Jeep Liberty with only 58,000 miles on it. I had my mechanic look it over, do a couple of minor repairs it needed, plus the 60,000-mile maintenance, and it was ready to hand off to my Dad.

Alas, long story short ... nobody was hurt, but we soon found out that my father probably shouldn't be driving any more. I'll get the Jeep back from the body shop in a couple of weeks -- nothing major, just broke the rear glass and put a dent in the left rear pillar -- and then I reckon I'll have a nice, low-mileage Jeep Liberty in my driveway for a while.

I'm not really sure what I'll do with it in the long run, since I have a fairly new F150 that I usually use for my winter driver. But I enjoyed driving the Liberty around while I was getting ready to hand it off to my Dad. So, I'll fix up a few things I didn't get a chance to look at before I handed it off (the cruise control doesn't work, it could use wiring for the trailer hitch) learn a bit about Jeeps, and use it for funsies for a while before I sell it off.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good! They are easy to work on and I'm no mechanic either. My 05 is a daily driver and had an 02 from 2007 until 2016 when I replaced it with my 05. Welcome to the forum.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Great vehicles I have an 03-04 ( I bought new) and an 05
My Stepfather who is 91 drives the 05 and so far............will only need a front bumper cover :happy175: Of course his trips cnsist of going 10 miles into town every once in a while

Latest posts

Members online