And so it Begins..............

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerCannius

Reaction score
So I was gifted my parents old 06 Liberty Limited, as my current daily driver is a PoS and I'm getting rid of it. The Lib has a few issues that I will be resolving in the next few weeks. List of issues below:

Both rear windows and the drivers front have broken regulators
Headlights and foglights are incredibly oxidized
Interior is kinda trashed, my Dad has used it as a work truck for the last 2 years
Driver's seat bottom is kinda tore up so need to find a replacement
All 4 door speakers are blown, and the 6 disc changer is slightly broken
Front Brakes are squealing
Suspension is a bit stiff and noisy, not sure if this is due to it being a Jeep or just worn out bushings

So there's a bit to take care of.

Last edited:

DerCannius

Reaction score
I have already taken care of the headlights and fogs, waiting on my UV resistant clear coat to arrive. I have a shipment coming in with replacement headunit, and door speakers (2 ohm because Chrysler), and replacement window regulators are on their way as well. Interior has been cleaned and vacuumed, need to remove the front seats and get underneath them, but at least it looks better.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If suspension is stock and over 60-65,000 miles then its toast
New springs and shocks all the way around, plus check lower ball joints in front and uppers
Also while under there check the rear boot on the front driveshaft, most go south at 75-80,000 miles , replacing the CV is cheap and easy
On level ground, on left front measure from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare , new they were 19 inches

DerCannius

Reaction score
Ya it's got 160k, springs are OEM and I think we changed the shocks maybe 50k ago. It probably needs ball joints and bushings as well.

Reaction score
Ya it's got 160k, springs are OEM and I think we changed the shocks maybe 50k ago. It probably needs ball joints and bushings as well.

Have fun with the interior. I got a 07 for $400 as a gift to my girlfriend, and a project car for me. It was a smokers car previously, I ended up gutting the car to bare harnesses and metal, steam cleaned every interior panel (They all dripped thick yellow nicotine) and replaced the carpet. Since then its like new.

DerCannius

Reaction score
Have fun with the interior. I got a 07 for $400 as a gift to my girlfriend, and a project car for me. It was a smokers car previously, I ended up gutting the car to bare harnesses and metal, steam cleaned every interior panel (They all dripped thick yellow nicotine) and replaced the carpet. Since then its like new.

Cars been in my family since 2008, neither of my parents are smokers, when I said the interior was trashed I meant it literally had trash on the floor. I've already cleaned and vacuumed the carpets and it turned out good.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
On these KJs since they came out with very weak springs from the factory, replacing only shocks is a waste of money . Since the springs are weak, it causes more motion which in turn works the shocks more and wears them out faster
They should of had 345-350 Lb front springs instead of the 310 Lb, terrible decision on their part ( Jeeps )

DerCannius

Reaction score
On these KJs since they came out with very weak springs from the factory, replacing only shocks is a waste of money . Since the springs are weak, it causes more motion which in turn works the shocks more and wears them out faster
They should of had 345-350 Lb front springs instead of the 310 Lb, terrible decision on their part ( Jeeps )

Ohhh good to know thanks, I'll add springs and shocks to the list then.

DerCannius

Reaction score
I've run into my first issue, I've installed an aftermarket headunit, and soldered my harness as per directions (not my first radio install). I'm presented with an odd issue, the radio works normally, but when I turn the headlights on it makes the radio lights and screen flicker back and forth between day and night modes, only when the headlights are on. This tells me that the illumination wire is not providing a constant signal/voltage.

I'm thinking maybe the multifunction switch may have the dimmer control going out and that's what's causing it, but I need to know if there is a way to test it before I drop 60 bucks on a new MFS.

Either that or I'll just snip the illumination wire and let the radio operate by time.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the illumination wire want to see just power, or is it expecting less that 12v to adjust brightness?

sounds like it wants to see batt voltage, but you are tapped into the dimmer wire.

DerCannius

Reaction score
Does the illumination wire want to see just power, or is it expecting less that 12v to adjust brightness?

sounds like it wants to see batt voltage, but you are tapped into the dimmer wire.

If that's the case then the wiring harness is wrong, orange on aftermarket harnesses is illumination. It does work, it just flickers.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that's the case then the wiring harness is wrong, orange on aftermarket harnesses is illumination. It does work, it just flickers.

might try tying the orange to 12v and see if our flicker goes away, or - make sure yr dash dimmer is set to full bright, and test same. I get what you are saying, just don’t know how the aftermarket harness gets it’s illum signal.

DerCannius

Reaction score
might try tying the orange to 12v and see if our flicker goes away, or - make sure yr dash dimmer is set to full bright, and test same. I get what you are saying, just don’t know how the aftermarket harness gets it’s illum signal.

Their where some other glitches with that headunit so Crutchfield sent me a different model as a replacement so I will be swapping and testing again.

DerCannius

Reaction score
Harness was not the issue, it was definitely the glitchy headunit, swapped in the replacement and working 100%.

DerCannius

Reaction score
I installed some tube steps on the sides and replaced the housings for the headlights and front turn signals. Wasn't bad prices actually, RockAuto had the headlight housings with bulbs for 25 a piece, and I got the turn signal housings for 20 bucks for the pair. It looks really good now, I'll post some pics later.

DerCannius

Reaction score
Here's a couple pics of the new headlights and turn signals.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I used some "smoke" tint film on the turn signals and side markers, nothing too dark just a subtle change.

Last edited:

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
How’s the light output on the headlights? Mine stockers are pitiful. Two candles are about it.

DerCannius

Reaction score
With the new headlight assemblies, its night and day difference to the old ones. I've done headlight restos before, it lasts a year or 2 before you need do it again, but the kits are only 15-20 bucks. With the lenses being only 25 a piece it seemed more cost and time efficient to replace rather than restore. Not like with my wife's Titan, her headlight clusters are not just headlights they house the parking and the turn signals, they are about 150 a piece so its more cost efficient to restore.

On Libby I will probably be coating them with a UV resistant clear at some point, give it an extra layer of protection.

John Sannes

Reaction score
I bought new headlights from Amazon ($75) for two. The original headlights had been buffed (and they did a good job) but nothing like clear acrylic. I put some ceramic coating on the new headlight to try and help slow sun damage.

Latest posts

Members online