Am buying an XJ...NOT!!!!! Revised

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I missed my old 97 so much I have struck a deal on another 97.

4.0 L
Auto
4.5" Rubicon Express lift
Lot's of other goodies.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
these XJs never ever get old, They always look great!

how much?

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ended up getting a really good deal with all of the gear on it. Umm we'll jusy leave it at that. It is slightly over KBB and less than what the dealers want in this area for one with way more miles stock. (whistle)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mentioned Lot's of other goodies, that's why. It is hard to determine KBB or any other estimation. Anyway, no problem. Enjoy.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks really good for 10 years old. A little over KBB seems reasonable considering it's other goodies. Congrats.

The xj is a nice jeep.

What were the other goodies besides what's evident in the picture??

Dave

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no problem Hyd.

It also has a SYE Kit,
new CV driveshaft
4.10s,
JKS Quick Disconnects,
Ramsey REP8000 winch
and a few interior goodies.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will still have the Libby. My daughter will be driving it after August.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Those ole XJ's are tough as nails. Sometimes I wish I had one just to throw around some...

Nice Jeep!

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after 24 hours of driving and leaving MS with no Jeep I am looking again. This thing needed a ton of work and was not as advertised. Bummer, but we will go on. #-o

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looked good in the picture!! So much for looking at pictures.

Consider looking for a stock one - maby a country with selec-trac - 99 was a good year. With a stock one with mostly road miles if it was reasonably maintained it should be good and then you can do what you want to it. I say a 99 because I think in 2000 they changed the head or intake or something on the 4.0 - not sure. You could research it. Hope there's someone on here with an XJ that can give better info.

Dave

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, lots of hidden things. I feel bad for who ever gets stuck with this thing. Most likely will be some kid not knowing what he is getting.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Dave said:
Looked good in the picture!! So much for looking at pictures.

Consider looking for a stock one - maby a country with selec-trac - 99 was a good year. With a stock one with mostly road miles if it was reasonably maintained it should be good and then you can do what you want to it. I say a 99 because I think in 2000 they changed the head or intake or something on the 4.0 - not sure. You could research it. Hope there's someone on here with an XJ that can give better info.

Dave

99 They changed the intake to a better flowing one, and supposedly makes a difference on performance. I've seen the intake on a 99 and on a 98, and they are noticeably different.

You're right about the heads, they changed them in 2000. The newer heads are more prone to cracking, especially if overheated...and they're much more sensitive to cracking when even slightly overheated. However, on the research i've done, i'm starting to think that maybe it was just a "bad batch" and not all of them are crap.

IMO, stick with 99. You can get some decently equipped Sport models (cruise, PW, PL, Keyless entry, Selec-Trac, automatic) for a good price.

Latest posts

Members online