Alternator dilemma 2010 Jeep Cherokee kk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Milo

Reaction score
Hi My Name is Steve thanks for letting me join. I own a 2010 Jeep Cherokee kk, I have replaced the alternator but it still doesn’t charge I have checked all electricals and diagnostics and it looks like the pcm has had it, Is there an after market bypass kit that I can get for my Jeep? I live in Australia I’ve tried numerous Auto electricians and they can’t help me.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
This is a tough one to answer due to the fact that the PCM is integrated into the KK charging system and may cause other unknown issues, without replacement of the expensive PCM.
Try a local google search for: "2010 Jeep Liberty PCM rebuilt "
There are companies in the USA that offer reasonably priced $200, warrantied replacements: https://store.allcomputerresources....MIh6zbp5_e4wIVkMJkCh0zHQIaEAAYASAAEgIjSPD_BwE
What I would also recommend initially is that you carefully read the FSM- charging system section & diagnostics/tests to ensure that the PCM is faulty, before even considering an external voltage regulator set up.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwxaBkrMP1bnQWhSUFlCU0JMejg/view
I hope this may be of some help for you.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it not charge at all?

Check that with the engine and ignition OFF the thick cable going from the positive terminal to the large lug on the alternator has +12 volts on it at both ends compared to chassis/ground at all times.

This is the cable that supplies all the amps to the battery.
However there is "fusable link" inside this thick cable which can blow for various reasons....short to ground, jumping with battery connected wrong way etc.

You can remove this cable and then check its continuity from end to end with a multi meter. Disconnect battery before putting a wrench on either side of the cable...shorting to chassis with the wrench end is an easy way to blow the fusable link and maybe cause other damage.

If this fusable link is blown you need to buy a new one.

Check that the negative battery cable going to chassis is clean and tight both ends and that the cable/cables grounding the engine to chassis is clean and tight both ends.

Re-plug the connectors on the PCM a few times to clean any bad contacts and check all fuses.

Also I presume you are on ausjeepoffroad.com?

Last edited: