Airbag light randomly comes on and off! Please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I've had this problem for a while (as noted by an older post I made a while back) and I can't figure out what it is. My airbag light comes on and stays on after starting my Jeep, and other times it goes off like normal after start off. It's extremely random, but so annoying! I initially thought it was the wire under the driver's seat, but I was wrong. That has nothing to do with it. I'm stuck! I have no idea what to do, and couldn't really find any good material on the issue. Any one have a clue as to what could be causing it? Please don't say I have to replace the clock spring! I do not need that news! :favorites68:

Moon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea man. Mine does this all the time too.

:cheers:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the home scanner can not read the stored air bag fault codes.
Dealer and Some shops properly equipped, should be able to pin point the problem/fault.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what year? i have been troubleshooting my 2002. i might have some tips for you.
also have you searched. lots of info on places to start with this problem on a liberty.
billwill has been helping me with my issue. but we need more details. year, miles, etc

search for my recent thread on the issue...

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the home scanner can not read the stored air bag fault codes.
Dealer and Some shops properly equipped, should be able to pin point the problem/fault.

Yeah, I couldn't pull a code at all. That *****! Do dealers charge just to scan it?

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what year? i have been troubleshooting my 2002. i might have some tips for you.
also have you searched. lots of info on places to start with this problem on a liberty.
billwill has been helping me with my issue. but we need more details. year, miles, etc

search for my recent thread on the issue...

Didn't know that mattered tbh, but it's an 03' with 140k miles. I have searched, and couldn't find any info that was relatable, or something I haven't tried already. So, what are the tips?

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don't you want it to be the clockspring? That would be an easy fix.

Mine needed a new airbag control module to the tune of $1000 installed by the dealer. (Can anyone else really install them? I'm pretty sure you need the dealer scan tool to program it... the DRB III or whatever it's called).

I would consider the clockspring to be a blessing in comparison.

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don't you want it to be the clockspring? That would be an easy fix.

Mine needed a new airbag control module to the tune of $1000 installed by the dealer. (Can anyone else really install them? I'm pretty sure you need the dealer scan tool to program it... the DRB III or whatever it's called).

I would consider the clockspring to be a blessing in comparison.

Because the clock spring is expensive! And I wouldn't quite say it's easy, you have to take apart the whole steering column.

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, replacing the clock spring is not to hard. just removing the cover for the steering wheel column, which is 2 bolts, then the airbag is bolted on with 2 bolts, and unplug the airbag plug and the traction control plug, and then pop the steering wheel, and your to the clock spring and it just slides right off. and replace with a new one is just the reverse order. However you need to pull a few airbag fuses and disconnect the battery and let it all discharge for about 10-15 min, before you start unplugging everything, and the cost of a new clockspring is around 80.00 I believe.

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, replacing the clock spring is not to hard. just removing the cover for the steering wheel column, which is 2 bolts, then the airbag is bolted on with 2 bolts, and unplug the airbag plug and the traction control plug, and then pop the steering wheel, and your to the clock spring and it just slides right off. and replace with a new one is just the reverse order. However you need to pull a few airbag fuses and disconnect the battery and let it all discharge for about 10-15 min, before you start unplugging everything, and the cost of a new clockspring is around 80.00 I believe.

That's not that bad then, actually!

tksautos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive had a car over the years that the airbag light came on after dead battery. I googled around and found instructions how to reset it. It was a kia. Hopefully someone will know the info for a jeep

RenegadeBullitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine was random...so I thought. Until I realized that anything over 20 lbs on the seat would set it off. The airbag is meant to shut off if something over "x" pounds is on the seat but only if that "x" dosnt weight over 110lbs or something like that. As far as I know at least. My wife is real close to 110 so she makes it go on and off randomly

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine was random...so I thought. Until I realized that anything over 20 lbs on the seat would set it off. The airbag is meant to shut off if something over "x" pounds is on the seat but only if that "x" dosnt weight over 110lbs or something like that. As far as I know at least. My wife is real close to 110 so she makes it go on and off randomly

I had someone riding in it today and nothing happened. It really is random! :shrug:

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2003 models like the OPs do not have this function...

ID Roberts

Reaction score
Same happening here to my Liberty (UK) 3.7 (2002). Don't know if this is any use but found some great help on YouTube and majority of the time it is the connectors under the seats that can come loose. Apparently it is the yellow one which is the airbag. Try wiggling it and/or disconnecting, add some dielectric grease to the FEMALE connectors only, then replug in. Seems to work. Will try on my Jeep later and update.

Here's the YouTuber:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media