Air Bag light on - Switched the seat out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ripshod

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm a newbie here even thought I bought my Liberty new in '02 and just sold it last week. I've searched the forum but I haven't a clue where to start with a certain problem. I hope someone can help.

As part of prepping the car for sale, I needed to repair upholstery damage to the left bolster on the driver's seat. 91,000 miles of my bony butt sliding over it had worn a big hole in the cloth. It also had a burn hole in the crotch area. I don't remember when that happened but I'm sure it made a big impression at the time. I found and bought a scrap seat from a rolled Liberty. It was a power seat (my original seat was not power), but it had an identical hole in the seat bottom so it was dirt cheap. I took both seats to an upholsterer and had him remove the center panel from the back of the scrap seat, use that to repair the seat bottom and put that seat bottom in the car.

With me so far? Anyway, the upholstery guy and I couldn't get the power seat to work when we tested it, so he took the seat cushion off the power seat and mounted my original frame and runners to it. After it was installed, I noticed that the AIR BAG light was on but I hadn't plugged in the wires yet so I wasn't surprised. On the morning when I sold it, I plugged it in and - the light stayed on. Normally, I would just explain the situation to the buyer and let him decide whether to take it or leave it, but I sold the car to a very close neighbor and a good friend. His kids play with mine. I felt that I had caused this problem and I really want to fix this.

First of all, I'm assuming that something about the seat swap caused the problem. I just don't know if that error would cause a malfunction of the airbags should they need to be deployed before I can fix it. Any ideas on that?

As to fixing the problem - I'd like to have at least a Plan A before I yank the seat. Has anyone had any experience with the pressure mechanism (I assume that's what is in the seat) is attached and wired? Is it likely that the upholstery guy left something unplugged or snipped a wire?

As a Plan B, I still have all the cushions and frames left over from the seat swap.

Thanks for reading all this from a newbie stranger. I'd really appreciate any advice or hints. I'm determined to make that car as safe as possible. It's strange how it changes your perspective when you've met the buyer's children.

Ripshod

Reaction score
Wouldn't the seat belt switch cause the 'Fasten Seat Belt' light to stay on as well?

ed: Or the real question is - is THAT what I'm connecting to with that plug and socket under the seat? I guess I just assumed it was some sort of pressure indicator like they apparently have under the passenger seat. I just assumed that since the air bag indicator light was on but not the seat belt light, it must be something directly associated with the air bags. I'm very good at assuming but I like being proven wrong when it helps.

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot think of any reason why the Drivers' seat would need to have a pressure sensor fitted...if there is no driver to drive the thing why bother with airbags? The only wiring I could imagine that is in the drivers seat is power seats, heated seats and maybe seat belts. I wonder if the drivers side maybe has an unused connector for a RHD vehicle for overseas use and this should remain unconnected, unlikely I know? What happens if you disconnect everything?

Ripshod

Reaction score
There's only the one plug/socket under the seat, four wires each side. I never saw the Air Bag light on during the 8 years I drove it. I only noticed it staying on after I'd swapped out the seat and at that time I assumed it was because I'd not yet connected that plug under the seat. I was surprised when plugging it in didn't cause the light to go out. I suppose it could be an unrelated issue, but that would be one helluva coincidence.

Yeah, when you think about it, a pressure sensor on the driver's seat doesn't make a lot of sense but I don't know what else it could be if the problem is related to the seat swap at all. I think I've eliminated the seat belt sensor because the seat belt receptacle is not attached to the seat, but to the center console.

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped 04 seats into an 05 and I had to swap the seat sensor with my 05 seat to get the airbag light to go out. connectors were identical.

Ripshod

Reaction score
YES! Man, you have to love it when you get just the answer you were hoping for. I'm glad that the upholstery guy made me take the old seat with me. I'll remove the sensor from the old seat today. Any tips on where this thing is located, what it looks like and how to get it out without tearing everything up?

THANKS!

BTW - I put an '03 seat into an '02 car.

Ripshod

Reaction score
You mean a Jeep is not a car? Maybe I'm just not hip to the lingo, dude.

molenaar

Reaction score
Did we find the seat belt switch on the driver side?
I have a similar issue, replaced cloth seats in 2006CRD with power leather.
Air bag light is on.
Any help is appreciated

Lesman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't the seat belt switch cause the 'Fasten Seat Belt' light to stay on as well?

ed: Or the real question is - is THAT what I'm connecting to with that plug and socket under the seat? I guess I just assumed it was some sort of pressure indicator like they apparently have under the passenger seat. I just assumed that since the air bag indicator light was on but not the seat belt light, it must be something directly associated with the air bags. I'm very good at assuming but I like being proven wrong when it helps.

Lesman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes just put 2003 seats in a 2004 had to install the pressure bladder and the OCM IN THE 2003 SEATS TO MAKE THE 2003 SEAT to make the Air Bag light go out. seamless but about a 1hour job.