Aftermarket light switch panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Em96

Reaction score
Hey. I just got a nice set of 4" led spot lights for the bumper of my 2006 liberty. I was wondering if there was a company out there that might make an aftermarket switch panel that I could install before I go and try and make one.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey. I just got a nice set of 4" led spot lights for the bumper of my 2006 liberty. I was wondering if there was a company out there that might make an aftermarket switch panel that I could install before I go and try and make one.

I'm sure any of them would work with some modification but the ones I've seen look very cheaply made
I have a few off-road lights myself and I have all of my switches on the little trim piece to the left of the steering wheel right under the vent
Pops right out, drill your hole and run your wires up there
Easiest and best looking IMO
I'll snap a few pics later for ya

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends how many switch you need. I have a 9 switch panel I made that goes in the glove box in the owners manual spot.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can fit 4 on there easily so should be plenty of room

Em96

Reaction score
I'm sure any of them would work with some modification but the ones I've seen look very cheaply made
I have a few off-road lights myself and I have all of my switches on the little trim piece to the left of the steering wheel right under the vent
Pops right out, drill your hole and run your wires up there
Easiest and best looking IMO
I'll snap a few pics later for ya

That's exactly where I want to put it the only thing is my jeep came with that plastic missing. Right now it's only for one switch but I do plan on adding up to four. Figured that Id kill two birds with one stone by using that spot for my switches and by doing so covering up that hole. I was going to order that plastic before I decided to get some lights. Might just do it now because it seems to be my best option.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly where I want to put it the only thing is my jeep came with that plastic missing. Right now it's only for one switch but I do plan on adding up to four. Figured that Id kill two birds with one stone by using that spot for my switches and by doing so covering up that hole. I was going to order that plastic before I decided to get some lights. Might just do it now because it seems to be my best option.

I'd for sure do that, it'd look the best especially if you get all the switches the same
This is my current switch setup:
You must be registered for see images attach

I left a gap there so I didn't accidentally hit my light bars on when I want my fogs to be on, so that's why it may look a little weird to you
All three have red LEDs (to match the Jeep) and all are the same
These are my favorite style switches- clean looking and good quality
I personally don't like the other styles that are like kill switches, they look tacky and cheap IMO (like you're turning on your missile launchers when all you're really doing is turning on some lights) :gunner:

Good luck with it all!

Em96

Reaction score
That came out really good. Guess I better start shopping for that plastic.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I have always done before mounting any switches is to sit in the vehicle like you were driving down the road. Then reach out to where you would not have to move from that spot. Lots of times people mount switches where they have to bend, stretch etc to even reach it, why?
Switches should be in normal limits of what you can reach . In the 04 I have 3 switches mounted close to the gear shift lever, easy to reach, don't have to look for them at night going down the road .
For example where the stock light bar switch is located is inconvenient to me , terrible location from the factory . But works for some I guess.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Something else I am trying out this time around is hooking up two different sets of lights to a dimmer switch, ( old timers know what I am talking about, youngsters may have to look it up ) :happy175:
But one set of long range Hella's will be hooked up on one side, one set that can be ran into town and with oncoming traffic ( lower fog lights) will be on the other side. That way one quick push of that old left foot and lights on and off. Will also be wired to a switch so neither will work

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got my switches from OTRATTW.com , mine are on the opposite side of where most people put them the picture shown above.

also made something almost identical to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gylXb1XwGZM because i hate messy wiring and it was decently cheap to build and easy.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best place I was thinking of putting some switches for my lights was on the back side of the steering wheel where some KJs have volume control but I ended up not trying it because it'd be too much work I think
That way they'd (only two obviously) be right there at your fingertips

But the location I have mine is pretty convenient for me, I just rest my forearm on my knee and switch my lights on/off very easily
Also there's ample room in the back of the trim piece for plenty of wiring so no problem there

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
i got my switches from OTRATTW.com , mine are on the opposite side of where most people put them the picture shown above.

also made something almost identical to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gylXb1XwGZM because i hate messy wiring and it was decently cheap to build and easy.

They ( OTRATTW's ) have some of the best switches out there
Been dealing with them for several years

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best place I was thinking of putting some switches for my lights was on the back side of the steering wheel where some KJs have volume control but I ended up not trying it because it'd be too much work I think
That way they'd (only two obviously) be right there at your fingertips

But the location I have mine is pretty convenient for me, I just rest my forearm on my knee and switch my lights on/off very easily
Also there's ample room in the back of the trim piece for plenty of wiring so no problem there

They ( OTRATTW's ) have some of the best switches out there
Been dealing with them for several years

Love the OTRATTW switches and their customer service. Quality parts and quality people. Got mine from them :waytogo:

I considered putting some light switches around the gear shift but I'm reserving that spot for a selectable locker - ARB or eLocker from Eaton.

Put mine in the space where the factory light bar switch was to the left of the steering wheel - #1 because the wiring was already there, and #2 because the space to the right of the steering wheel is reserved for a master power switch for my winch. I need to replace the aluminum strip over the trim panel if I can find one at a salvage yard (the factory light bar switch is MUCH bigger than a Carling-style rocker - you can see the original cutout in the pic below.) Pretty satisfied with how it came out though I'd like to clean up the wiring behind the panel. Not as neat as the wiring in the video linked to by krisP.

Here's how mine turned out:
You must be registered for see images

Bob

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've also been looking at some of the push button switches with the LED light in the center when on. Looks clean and also keeps with the roundness of everything on the KJ
Different colors of course , only issue is labeling to know what is what
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: