After fixing engine the starter only clicks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sadoon

Reaction score
Hi guys
The problem is the starter only clicks when I fixed on engine and work good out of engine it's checked and grease it no luck JK 2006 manual
Any suggestions coz 3 days try to start the car but no luck
( I started on pushing way and the engine start fine )

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's spins, but the armature isn't pushing the pinion gear out to catch and roll the engine over.
Could be your ignition switch as well though..
Is it a new starter since you took the time to take it out?
When testing it, did it look like the rod with the gear on it pushed out? Or did it just spin in place?

sadoon

Reaction score
starter is good the armature of starter pushed and stuck at flywheel and not back
Is there any difference between manual starter and automatic ?
The trans was auto and now manual

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned before, could be an ignition switch problem.. if there's no crank.
You can find plenty of ways to test it out, but it basically all amounts to verifying that it supplies power to the starter when you crank it over.
I've never tested out our ignition switches so I can't verify wire colors or the number of them..
But usually there will be a 12v constant (red), accessory wire (different from car to car), keyed 12v (yellow typically), and the wire leading to the starter.
The wire leading to the starter will only receive power when you crank over the engine, so you'll need a test light or DVOM to check it.
I'd start by gaining access to the connector coming from the ignition switch, usually located under the steering column covers, and figure out which wire leads to the starter.
Connect your test light to this wire in the connector, and crank over the engine and verify there's power coming from there..

You can do this same thing by putting your test light on the starter end of this wire which will be attached to the solenoid.. have it cranked over and watch for voltage.

If you're sure that the starter is good, then you may have a faulty ignition switch or a lack of power supply which could come from a faulty or low charged battery..

sadoon

Reaction score
I found the problem it's the black wire ground wire not fixing or not tighten enough wow
Thanks guys your information helpful
Many warning lights on now ( traction control ,abs,tpms )
Haha
The liberty has 1 year stopped coz no engine in it I bought it like 900$ and I fix it that's why need much fixing

Last edited: