advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronj75

Reaction score
Hey there everyone. I need some advice on a next step.
I'll start with a little history.
Currently living in Brighton Michigan. Wife and I realized we needed a off road vehicle because of our dirt road/snow/living on a hill.. so we looked around and found a 02 liberty limited within our budget. (5000).. although we should have been suspicious of the dealership when we saw it had 200k on it. Yes I know I should have ran lol.
With no warranty it still ran great and the carfax showed regular upkeep so we took the chance.
Well 7 weeks later (outside of return window) we noticed an oil leak so off to the garage.
The garage told us it would take a few days to get the oil pan in. Told should be fine for the weekend. Soon topped off fluids since it wasn't a big leak. Day b4 we take back to garage it completely loses transfer. Get it towed to garage and told they'd take care of it. 2 days later we get a call "it messed up the transmission so we tried to fix but the pump wouldnt run.. oh btw we don't do trains work." So we wind up paying for what they fixed and taking to trans shop. Get told the other shop blew the trans but cant prove it. $3k later new trans..
1 month later we find coolant leaks.. new radiator. $150
1 month later suddenly the catalytic convertor breaks.
We kind of rigged that repair lol.
Few months later we notice engine running like Hell.. guess what..
Blown head gasket. My brother. In law says"get the parts my friend will fix it for 300$ labor"
2 months after its suddenly dropped off in middle of the night.. completely dead.
It at least started before.
Soo here I am. Dead jeep can't afford a engine rebuild, not a mechanic.
Should I just cut my losses and dump the liberty for a loss??
Part it out?
Take 6 months to save 3k for a rebuild?

Last edited:

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd either part it out or save up. You'll lose a decent amount of money just dumping it. If the rest of the vehicle is in fair - good shape, I'd part it out.

lautinjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check for a used lower mile motor something under 100K. LKQ is a nation wide company who will also back it up with a warranty. Just a option.