Adjust kj emergency brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replace all the emergency brake shoes and hardware, also new rotors.

I turned adjuster until it got hear to turn (to seat shoes) than backed it off 10 clicks (1 click is 1 tooth on adjuster wheel.).

Did I back it off enough? Rotor spins free.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone who knows will probably chime in because I can't say. I got rid of my e-brake shoes. Less BS goin on back there and the cables where froze anyway.

I'd say that as long as the rotors spin free, the handle feels good to you, and it holds, it should be good.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, as long as the shoes arent dragging and the ebrake engages and releases well, youre good

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all together, and 10 clicks was too much. Next time inside I will tighten it up some

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember tjkj2000 said 3 clicks on the Handle to fully engaged the parking brake. If my memory serves me right

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
3 clicks would be very good for the sloppy KJ handle slack adjuster.
The proper way to adjust is in N with the tires on, up on lift, or jack stands on rear diff, with front wheels blocked.
Remove the external rubber back plate boot, spin tires and then turn adjuster until just the slightest of resistance is felt, the back it off one or two clicks, until no drag.
Sometimes there is lots of slack in adjuster cable as well, use the screwdriver trick show in post #5...
Link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/parking-brake-59898/