Adding Power Heated Seats without Factory Wiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have installed some leather power heated seats from a 06 KJ limited, but found under my seat, I do not have the wiring ran to my seat for the power & heat that most people have (in my case only have wiring for the seatbelt) Now I tried to trace the wiring back to how the factory wiring would go, but it looks too complex to try to get into the power distribution center. So I was going to just run power to the seats using a standard relay with a 12v source so they are only getting power when the ignition is on. But my concern was with the power draw that the heated seats take?

I know I will need to create the harness that runs from the drivers seat to the passenger seat, but there is a write up regarding that.

What gauge wiring would you recommend going with? It looks like the factory wiring is just a 16G?

Any other tips or pointers?

Thanks!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have installed some leather power heated seats from a 06 KJ limited, but found under my seat, I do not have the wiring ran to my seat for the power & heat that most people have (in my case only have wiring for the seatbelt) Now I tried to trace the wiring back to how the factory wiring would go, but it looks too complex to try to get into the power distribution center. So I was going to just run power to the seats using a standard relay with a 12v source so they are only getting power when the ignition is on. But my concern was with the power draw that the heated seats take?

I know I will need to create the harness that runs from the drivers seat to the passenger seat, but there is a write up regarding that.

What gauge wiring would you recommend going with? It looks like the factory wiring is just a 16G?

Any other tips or pointers?

Thanks!

The wiring for the power seats comes off Circuit breaker number 1 on the Junction block which is on the reverse of the interior fuse panel.....this circuit breaker is there but is not used if you do not have power seats. It is a 20 Amp breaker and uses 14 gauge wiring .

The Heated Seats gets its power from fuse 25 10 Amps in the junction block and uses 20 gauge wiring.

Best thing to do is to download the 2006 KJ Service Manual here...includes wiring diagrams...so you can see for yourself how it is wired up...about 143 MB:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wiring for the power seats comes off Circuit breaker number 1 on the Junction block which is on the reverse of the interior fuse panel.....this circuit breaker is there but is not used if you do not have power seats. It is a 20 Amp breaker and uses 14 gauge wiring .

The Heated Seats gets its power from fuse 25 10 Amps in the junction block and uses 20 gauge wiring.

Best thing to do is to download the 2006 KJ Service Manual here...includes wiring diagrams...so you can see for yourself how it is wired up...about 143 MB:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Thanks, and I do have the factory service manual, but the location of the #1 circuit breaker is very tight and hard to get to, and I could not find if all KJs have the wiring coming off of it, and if so, where that wire goes to if it doesn't go all the way to the seat.. The same thing goes for the heated seat, if there is wiring coming off, where does it go?
This is something that was not found in the service manual.