Adding electrical outlets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zero402

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone see any reason why this wouldnt work?

I want to add a USB hub in the center console for the backseat passengers, fab it in somewhere near the window switches. I would like to tap in off the power that runs the switches.

Also want to add a USB hub on back cargo area and want to tap off the power that runs the accessory plug.

Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would not tap into window switch wiring
Tap into main fuse block for front or the power plug up front, rear of course

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would wire up a mini fuse block under the dash, sourcing power from the battery (or cigarette lighter circuit if that’s easier) and have each USB hub circuit connect to that. More wiring is involved, but you can be sure you aren’t overloading a window circuit. You will also be able to change out fuses for each hub in case of short circuit or malfunction (as opposed to heat and smoke generation). The new mini fuse block expands the number of possibilities. This is what I did in my Jeep. I have several circuits that I added on to this block, including additional front & rear 12V power outlets, small 175 watt inverter, trailer wiring harness power, CB radio, Bluetooth adapter for the stereo, etc.