Adding clutched cooling fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be floating around, but i cant find it. My 2004 liberty is setup for hd cooling. All thats needed is the clutched fan and the power steering cooler.

It looks like two options for the clutch is:

-Hayden 2736
-Hayden 2905

Rockauto says the 2736 engages 30 degrees above 170. Says something about air temp being 170 but the coolant temp being 30 degrees higher. Does anyone know this to be true? That would mean it engages at 200f, which i dont want. Anyone know the specs on the 2905?

Where do you get the stoke plastic blades. There are several on ebay, but they are dront wrecked kj's so who knows their condition. One is just $30 shipped.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
TwoBobsKJ did a great write up on this...search his name. I can't remember what section it's in otherwise I'd link to it. Or he'll see this and respond. :D

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TwoBobsKJ did a great write up on this...search his name. I can't remember what section it's in otherwise I'd link to it. Or he'll see this and respond. :D

HJ, you know me too well!

Here is a link to the installation How-To - which includes running the transmission cooler lines into the in-radiator cooling in series with the standalone external cooler.

One thing I neglected to post in that thread was that I trimmed the bottom of the HD shroud slightly with my Dremel so I could slide the shroud out of the engine bay without having to remove the clutch from the water pump first. Just a little something to make life easier...

And here is the thread that includes the part numbers for the nylon fan, the severe duty Hayden clutch and the HD shroud/electric fan for those who may want to do this mod to their standard duty cooling system. (Scroll down to the second post in the thread.)

Jeepster, hope this helps!

Bob

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so the 2736 is heavy duty and the 2905 is the severe duty. What if i want normal duty?

I dunno... :boxed:

Can't say that I've seen a 'normal duty' fan clutch for the KJ, probably cuz I've always looked for the heavier-duty ones.

I chose the severe duty version because I wanted the mechanical fan to kick in at lower temps when offroading or pulling the boat. I'm presuming you want the normal duty because you don't want it to kick on as much therefore less drag on the engine?

The differences between Standard, Heavy and Severe clutches is the rotation speed of the fan vs the engine. The Standards rotate at about 50 or 60% of the engine speed, while the HD and Severe clutches rotate at 80 to 90% of engine speed. The HD and Severe clutches also kick it at lower temps.

That's what I know... ;)

Bob

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never really liked clutch fans. Every vehicle I've owned that had one I replaced with a straight drive fan.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 94 zj i drive a lot has a clutched fan. Only time its ever gotten warm was when the clutch was going bad. Didnt fail either, slowly died letting you know it was dying unlike an electric fan. Has 203k on the original engine and ******; i feel like its kept things cool.

Ronin65

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I am looking to upgrade my 07 Liberty to "factory" tow package so this thread would be beneficial to me. My question would likely be answered if I could see the pics, but because they don't show, I will just ask.

By reading the description and the parts lists, it looks like you are running both an electric fan AND a clutch fan; is that right or are you removing the electric fan and replacing it with a clutch fan?

I started to ask that question in another old thread but removed it because I didn't think there would be space in there for both fans and to me, running both fans might actually create less cooling than having one fan. But after reading this (without the pics) and seeing the parts listed, it looks like two fans going at once.

If anyone could clear that up for me it would be appreciated.

ETA

I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVHzIEXVVM8

According to the only comment there, there are two fans, electric and clutch. So, unless that commenter is wrong, I answered my own question.

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes. tow package will have a fan shroud, with the e-fan and clutch.
The e-fan for the tow package is different than the non tow package one.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, two fans. Electric and the clutched fan.

Its been said that the kj's that came with the clutched fan had a different electric fan from the factory. I cannot confirm that but my kj did have the bigger shroud already. For some reason the 2004 kj's all had the bigger shroud that typically only came on a kj equipped with the hd cooling. I just put the clutch and fan blades in, all works perfect. No idea if the clutched fan will interfere with the electric fan on non hd kj's.

The clutch I used sure seems to be a little on the hd side. My engine never goes above 203F and roars a good bit when I first start it. Think I went with the 2736.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's no point to use the clutch fan without the shroud.
Also, the other fan will not mount to the shroud.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the 2905 clutch and it helps keep this cool. The thing that really helps me is to that I can actually control the speed of the cooling fan manually and that helps me control the temperature a lot better. Currently on a hot day say 85 out I run at 200.

Latest posts

Members online