Adding accessories - When is the best time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T^2

Reaction score
I'm looking at the Off-Road Package.

I ordered my Limited with the Skid Plate Group ($150), but decided on not getting the Off-Road Package. Items in the Off-Road Package, other than the Skid Plates, that I would want are the Rock Rails and Tow Hooks. I figured I would add these two items later, when and if I decided I needed them.

Now, I'm wondering about those Tow Hooks. They look like they may require a different bumper (with notches). Is this something that I would be better off (significantly cheaper) ordering directly from the factory?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
not sure how it works on the 05's but on the 02-04 u need not change bumpers, it just bolts on....

im pretty sure it will work the same with the 05's...

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the '02-'04 the tow package and the off road package also got you the HD cooling (clutch fan in addition to the standard fan). Might be wroth it for that alone...

T^2

Reaction score
SRotblat said:
on the '02-'04 the tow package and the off road package also got you the HD cooling (clutch fan in addition to the standard fan). Might be wroth it for that alone...

I ordered it with the tow package...

Lea Ann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to let you know that you cant purchase the "package" deal! You have to order them individually! I was going to order the Adventure package and on jeep.com it showed a $1453 price tag. Well to order it all individually it was going to be over $1800! It says in small print that the dealer will set the price. I talked to jeep and they said they just put that on their website to see if anyone was interested in buying it as a package deal! It really pissed me off! So now, I have to wait until I finance my jeep and get my money back out of it (we financed the price of our add-ons into the whole price) so we can order my stuff! If you are going to order anything from mopar, call around, all dealerships have different prices!! Hope this helps!

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could also check out jparts which I think is listed in the parts list for mopar accessories for you Jeep. Most folks seem to think that they have pretty good prices. I think you can just add the tow hooks to the bumper...I can't imagine that would have changed for '05.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
T^2 said:
...other than the Skid Plates, that I would want are the Rock Rails and Tow Hooks. I figured I would add these two items later, when and if I decided I needed them.

I know with the first Gen. Liberty's it was a better idea to order the front tow hooks AFTER purchasing the vehicle. At the factory they used different bolts than the ones you get as "aftermarket" Mopar parts at the parts counter. The ones you get through the parts counter have slightly longer bolts to ease installation with the plastic bumper in place and this extra length allowed for installation of both a brushguard AND the hooks (or so people here have attested to). The bolts used at the factory are just long enough to hold the hooks and do not allow for the brushguard to fit on the same bolt at the same time.
I guess it all depends on your personal preference, but getting the factory installed tow hook bolts out (I've been told) is a lot of work. Something like removing the entire plastic bumper and having to get all new plastic clips when re-installing. So switching the the longer bolts was very time consuming and cost a little more.

T^2

Reaction score
I have found out that the Tow Hooks come with the Skid Plate Group. This little detail is clearly listed on the Jeep website, but some how escaped my attention.

Since I ordered the Skid Plate Group, the Tow Hook issue has been taken care of...