adding ABS to non-ABS KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone had experience with adding ABS system to non-factory-ABS liberty?

can't find any links to discussion about this upgrade.

I'm planing to add ABS to my KJ. Any difficulties should I expect, besides getting new forward wheel hubs with sensors, new wiring and control unit + module?

Regards,

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get the computer reprogrammed by the dealer when done...

Also...just wondering, how come you want to add ABS?

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Computer reprogramming? that's too bad, my local dealer might not have required hardware... will see.

>>how come you want to add ABS?
I've got into some severe accident last winter, because my brakes blocked wheels. Right now my libby is almost as good as before an accident, but it cost me a lot, time and money.
So, now I want to add ABS before a winter. and will do as much work on it myself, as I could.

I have another car, with ABS, and I really like how it works.

Regards,

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
From a maintenance and brake feel perspective, I am glad that my 04 came without ABS.
Good stopping and the ability to grip comes with good traction. I would recommend a set of high quality tires http://www.goodyear.ca/goodyeartireselectorca/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Wrangler+SilentArmor&mrktarea=Light+Truck&treadwidth=&aspectratio=&rimdiameter=&sidewall= over the expense and maintenance of an ABS installation.
Amazing how quick you can stop the Jeep with braking, and gearing down, even on slippery surfaces, with the proper tires on.
Nothing makes up for proper (following)/ stopping distance, and the slower winter speeds though.

Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree that adding ABS to a vehicle won't be a simple task.
Say, does your present Libby have drum brakes in the rear axle? That would be a much more doable task. I've never heard of disc brakes locking up and you wouldn't need to reprogram the PCM.

But if you're dead set on a Libby with ABS then simply trade up, trade in your present Libby for a newer model c/w ABS.

My 04 Libby came with four wheel disc but not with the ABS option. I was really surprised, I thought they were a package deal. I'm "old school" and dislike ABS. Y'know some people say it's a curse on the trails.

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From a maintenance and brake feel perspective, I am glad that my 04 came without ABS.
Good stopping and the ability to grip comes with good traction. I would recommend a set of high quality tires http://www.goodyear.ca/goodyeartireselectorca/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Wrangler+SilentArmor&mrktarea=Light+Truck&treadwidth=&aspectratio=&rimdiameter=&sidewall= over the expense and maintenance of an ABS installation.

I hope you will never got into situation like mine, when you regret you don't have ABS :)

About tires - at that time my libby was fitted with perfect new winter tires with excellent traction in usual conditions. And they started to slide when wheels got blocked, as any other tires in the world would.

Regards,

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree that adding ABS to a vehicle won't be a simple task.
Say, does your present Libby have drum brakes in the rear axle? That would be a much more doable task. I've never heard of disc brakes locking up and you wouldn't need to reprogram the PCM.
my rear brakes are disks and I didn't found any differenses in catalogs between ABS and nonABS KJ, they both use same rear disks. ABS sensors are present only in forward hubs.

But if you're dead set on a Libby with ABS then simply trade up, trade in your present Libby for a newer model c/w ABS.
that's not an option in my case. in my area, we have so few KJ's, I hardly can sell mine for good and buy another KJ in good shape.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
What the heck kind of surface were you on?

I wish I never HAD ABS in the wintertime! Let's say I'm on a snow covered road. Stopping? Forget it, the ABS won't allow the snow to pack up in front of the tires, slowing me down faster. I just keep rolling and rolling and rolling.

It's really annoying.

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the heck kind of surface were you on?

I wish I never HAD ABS in the wintertime! Let's say I'm on a snow covered road. Stopping? Forget it, the ABS won't allow the snow to pack up in front of the tires, slowing me down faster. I just keep rolling and rolling and rolling.

It's really annoying.

it's was usual asphalt road, but with pressed snow on it, like semi-ice.

ABS will not allow you to stop sooner, but it allow you to control braking (rolling) direction. In my case, wheels got stuck and I went right to roadside concrete column by angle about 30 degree to forward direction.

well, I'm not selling ABS systems, so I don't want to agitate you for them :)

I just want to install one to my KJ.

Regards,

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I hate ABS but if you like it I guess thats good.
My agency supplied work car has ABS, did a 720 on the interstate last winter when I had to hit the brakes hard to keep from hitting a semi. Off the road I went, ABS not helping at all.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I'm another one of those people who is very happy my KJ DOES NOT HAVE ABS, ESP, or traction control.
In fact, I wouldn't of bought it if it had all that extra crap!
And yes, I have been in two very severe motor vehicle collisions...
Hence being a gimp!

But to each their own!

If you really want ABS, trade up to a KJ with all those features.
No chance of having any problems that way.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is anyone had experience with adding ABS system to non-factory-ABS liberty?

can't find any links to discussion about this upgrade.

I'm planing to add ABS to my KJ. Any difficulties should I expect, besides getting new forward wheel hubs with sensors, new wiring and control unit + module?

Regards,

Back on track.

Also will need the ABS pump...

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dmut, sorry you're not closer. xUSSR republic, that's killer. Best of luck finding the parts you need to do an ABS upgrade. I sincerely doubt that it will be an easy undertaking.

subflea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have manual ABS. It is called pumping your brakes. That is how my dad taught me to drive in the snow and on slick roads.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will never get the ABS to work if it did not come from the factory with it.No dealership can repregram to add ABS,sorry.

Just need to learn how to drive on snow/ice without it.I'll bet you $10,000 that my non-ABS KJ can and will stop faster on a sheet of ice then your ABS KJ,even while doing a turn.I grew up on snow/ice and never had ABS until '98,hated it so much(and also about broke my kneecap) that the 2 vehicles that I did own with ABS got the fuses pulled real fast to disable it.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my .02 on it
you can not add ABS to a rig that has it and save money over selling what you have and buying 1 with ABS
it is like converting a 2wd to be 4wd ,it can be done but if you can sell the 2wd and buy a 4wd for what the parts and required labor that you can not do ,like adjusting the DS's
to the proper length or reprograming the ecm

as far as driving with or with out ABS
our KJ had ABS but no traction control stuff ,it could stop like a *****
but got crap for drive traction ,it could stop on hill that were so slick it could not climb them ,go figure
our new car has all the ABS and traction control stuff and I like it
granted it is a FWD car but under heavy rain conditions that would cause the KJ to slide
this thing can GO ,yeah the dash lights up like a christmas tree but it still goes