Accidental 4W lo to 2wd no neutral while moving <3 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBandy

Reaction score
‘08 Liberty
While parked my son in advertently put the vehicle in 4W lo. When he pulled out and realized it he reacted and put it in 2W without putting it in neutral and was moving slowly.
Clunk followed by dash lights (seatbelt, traction control and low tire pressure) and “ESP OFF”. Squealing noise coming from transmission area. Occasional clunking from rear end.
Any thoughts?

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the engine stall when this happened? And did you you cycle back to 4low from neutral and shift back to 2w high properly after it happened? The clunk from the rear I wouldn't worry about. The sudden attempted shift probably caused some wheel slip causing Trac light and esp light. The squeal from transmission is a different story. If it drives fine after a hard reset or returned to normal I might let it go. I would be tempted to drain the transfer case and drop the ****** pan to looks for metal bits and also replace the filter.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you driven it much since ?
It should be ok, especially if he was going slow , although it would set off the codes etc
Now it was in 2 wheel and went 4 low would be an issue for sure
of course with stupid buttons instead of a real lever like the KJs have it may make some difference

Latest posts

Members online