AC Repair process-TJKJ2002, please check my logic!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob789456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to check with y’all about the steps to recharging the KJ’s ac system. So my KJ was in a frontal collision in 2004, and sat in a shop’s yard for 7 years before I bought it and rebuilt it from essentially the ground up. One thing I never did was repair the AC system, and because the so-cal deserts are 120+ degrees, it would be nice if it were functioning. I have done everything from A to Z that is not extremely complex on vehicles (ie: transmission rebuild) and have tons of tools to work with. I have a new compressor, condenser, orifice line, and receiver/dryer. New o-rings/seals, and new Schrader valves for all the lines. I have access to a vacuum pump and manifold gauges, and have a full filtered shop air compressor. I planned on saving the hoses from the condenser to the compressor (in perfect shape), and from the compressor to the evaporator core(also in perfect shape). All the rest is new. I bought some pressure flush stuff to flush only the lines I am saving and the evap core, because all the rest is new and sealed.
From how I understand it, once everything is flushed extremely thoroughly, I will reconnect all the lines completely. From here I will add the specified amount of PAG 46 SP-10 weight oil into the low-pressure line (or should I pour it all into the compressor). Then add the specified amount of R134a via the low-pressure line. Is this correct? And what settings should the HVAC unit be on during this process? Anything I missed, and am I making any critical errors? Thanks a million!

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can pour the oil into the compressor, The best way to add refrigerant is by weight - use a refrigerant scale, You may have to jumper the switch on the low pressure side to keep the compressor running when adding the r-134.

It is very important that the system is dry/clean, run the vacuum pump for at least 1/2 hour or so and make sure there are no leaks, shut off the pump and make sure it holds a vacuum, add rerigerant by scale..