AC compressor :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dchadjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
driving on I-77 yesterday and the AC quit working...got a look at it, and the compressor clutch is...just...not right:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I just replaced the AC compressor last September... grrr it's always something with this Jeep

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeiks ker wobble..Did it come with a 1 year warranty?
I'm not sure how long thats going to hold together for. :eek:

daves06lrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From your video the center portion on your compressor is NOT turning so the electric clutch is not engaging and the compressor will not turn and compress the freon...

You should have either one or two wires connecting to the compressor...

If you have one wire then if you connect +12v from the battery with the AC mode on, with the engine running and the the settings at the coldest position and the center of the compressor starts to turn then you may have a wiring problem or a low freon charge...and you do not have a bad AC clutch...

If you have two wires connected to your compressor ...one of them will connect directly to the body of the compressor and the other will connect to the clutch coil and you need to connect +12v to that one to get the results above...

If the clutch clicks the compressor clutch is OK and the chances are you are low on freon or possibly have a blown fuse...

The wiring on most cars have a switch on the AC lines that if the freon is too low it will NOT allow the AC clutch be engaged...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you got lucky, the clutch just departed and didnt take the belt with it.

Is the compressor locked up? If so, you'll need to do a very good system flush.

dchadjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From your video the center portion on your compressor is NOT turning so the electric clutch is not engaging and the compressor will not turn and compress the freon...

You should have either one or two wires connecting to the compressor...

If you have one wire then if you connect +12v from the battery with the AC mode on, with the engine running and the the settings at the coldest position and the center of the compressor starts to turn then you may have a wiring problem or a low freon charge...and you do not have a bad AC clutch...

If you have two wires connected to your compressor ...one of them will connect directly to the body of the compressor and the other will connect to the clutch coil and you need to connect +12v to that one to get the results above...

If the clutch clicks the compressor clutch is OK and the chances are you are low on freon or possibly have a blown fuse...

The wiring on most cars have a switch on the AC lines that if the freon is too low it will NOT allow the AC clutch be engaged...

The clutch is trying to turn, it's like they are just disconnected. Pretty sure the refrigerant isn't low, I just had it recharged 7 months ago and I don't see any signs of leaks...and the pressure on the low side is super high.

dchadjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you got lucky, the clutch just departed and didnt take the belt with it.

Is the compressor locked up? If so, you'll need to do a very good system flush.
The compressor is not locked up, it will turn by hand, it's just like the clutch is disconnected somehow, not enough tension to turn while the compressor is engaged or something.

hoping I can just get a shop to evac the refrigerant, then DIY replace the compressor and recharge the system!

04 limited

Reaction score
I replaced the clutch on mine without removing the compressor. didn't have to evacuate the system. so didn't need to recharge. clutch bearing went out on mine.

Belzebud

Reaction score
Sort of on topic and off - anybody seen a clutch repair kit for the 2.4?