AC compressor replacement.

Discussion in 'CRD KJ's Section' started by 8675309, May 27, 2018.

1. 8675309

8675309 New Member

I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, that I purchased about three months ago.

It's hot out, and I'm trying to keep my cool, but... when I turn the AC on, something smells like it is burning under the hood.

The AC blows out cold air, and the compressor clutch is engaging -but it keeps engaging/disengaging every few seconds.

I see no residue around the compressor moving parts -meaning no melted plastic or grease from bearings, etc.

My guess is the coil is somehow melting/burning -maybe the bearings are bad, or the coil "died", or the compressor itself is "bad", or….?

I first tried a $7.99 R134A cheapo charge (I gave it a 5% chance of fixing the problem) -thinking it was low refrigerant (it was a little, but not much). This recharge didn't fix anything (of course)…

----
    I see two options:

1. Replace the compressor -downside is I need to evacuate the AC system, recharge, etc.

2. Get a repair kit (clutch, coil, etc.) -downside is if the compressor is the problem, this will not fix.

I'm leaning towards (1), since I want to fix it once, and not again.

The 3.7L gasoline looks fairly easy to replace (compressor is right on top, near passenger side).

Mine is the 2.8L diesel - I looked around under the hood, expecting the compressor to be on top somewhere, but it's buried down under the engine towards the driver side.

----
    Is this major surgery just to replace the compressor…?

Has anyone done this, and what thing(s) do I need to remove (at a minimum) to get at/replace the compressor?

Should I attempt this from the top, or from underneath?

Thanks,
    George

2. renegade 04

renegade 04 Full Access Member

I would replace both pressure switches, high and low and see if it helps.

3. LibertyTC

LibertyTC Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Burning under the hood smells like plastic or oil? Can you see any smoke?
    With A/C I always recommend dropping by a pro AC shop for diagnostics firstly.
    Adding some refrigerant without accurate gauges, not for me.
    Tell them/shop what is up... & see what they may have to say.
    There is a way to replace the AC clutch/coil assembly & check clutch gap..Link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-install-c-clutch-60421/

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  4. 8675309

8675309 New Member

renegade 04 -I will check this, but I’m sure the compressor (at least the coil) is toast, regardless. I don't dare turn on the AC at this point.

LibertyTC -it smells like burning plastic or epoxy…? There's no visible smoke that I can see. Thanks for the clutch/coil replacement link.

Right now I think my biggest problem is getting the compressor out, to take a look at it. Maybe take the driver-side tire off, and the plastic inside fender, and then I’m able to take the compressor out…?