AC Compressor/ Full AC Kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

egall

Reaction score
So I live in Phoenix, Arizona and we hit record high temperatures this summer. My fiance just took our 2004 liberty up to Colorado no problem, I had to put my other car in the shop and used her Liberty for my work on the weekend. At the end of the day theres a squealing, almost knocking, and general bad noises coming from under the hood. I take a look and it looks like the AC compressor is what's making the noise. Took it to the shop and the mechanic said I need a "Full AC Kit" which is supposed to include the compressor, condenser and some other parts I guess. He quoted me 1100-1300 for the parts and labor and that includes a 3 year warranty on the AC kit. I just had to drop 400 to have other work done on my car and looking online I can't find anything labeled an AC kit, only the compressor and the condenser but it only comes to 200 for parts. I know the work is pretty difficult to change that out but I want to see if anyone here has any other opinions before I start just throwing money at this thing. Thanks for the help in advance.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think for a full replacement there
1. condenser
2. compressor
3. dryer/accumulator
4. expansion/liquid line
5. discharge hose

you'll also need the o-rings and refrigerant oil.

If you assume that the compressor is bad and spewing stuff into the system then you'll need a a/c flush as well.

I bought 2,3,4, o-ring kit, and oil for I think 5-600 and DIY it myself.
However, I did have a shop do the evac and recharge.

egall

Reaction score
The mechanic said it would need the flush if we were going to replace the whole system. I guess my other question is how do I know if I need to replace the whole system or maybe something a little simpler?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd get a second opinion.

And if a shop quotes ridiculous prices for parts that are far higher than rock auto, I usually protest it and they usually let me order the parts or will match. Then I give a good tip.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replacing any component on the AC, you'll definitely need to replace the dryer/accumulater and the expansion/liquid line.

If you DIY the fix, the warranty for the compressor might say that it would only be covered if a flush was done. YMMV.

There's a inline filter in the liquid line. If that's clogged or heavy crud on it then you'll need to flush the system. At this point you'll be replacing all the component except for the evap which is in your dash which you would need to flush.
At this point, you'll replace the condenser since all the nooks in it is so small that it is hard to flush it out.

I have no idea what sounds your compressor is making but if the compressor is bad and making sounds, it might be puking stuff into your system. Flushing the system is so you get all that crud out from the system. In this case, if you were replacing all the A/C components, they would be flushing the evap which is in your dash.

I'm not a certified tech by any stretch.

A/C work is not cheap at all so if you don't know what you're doing let a pro do it, otherwise there will be more headaches in the future.

For that price, I think Brake masters has a lifetime warranty.
If you're not planning to move out of state, that might be a good thing but that's a lot of dough to throw down.

Too bad you're not down here, otherwise I'd recommend you to a shop that only deals w/ AC.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what made me mad. I had a different problem entirely but got the same diagnosis line and pricing.

Truth of the matter is the parts are a lot cheaper and the job is not that hard. You just need a tool to disconnect the lines at the firewall.

The issue you describe could be the clutch, clutch bearing, or the compressor. Does it do it all the time, or just with air on... and is the air still working?

I have been trying to figure out how hard a clutch repair kit would be to install, but I am still kind of lost on that and what tools would be needed.

With that said, I have looked at compressor kits and found the same thing. Most kits are cheaper than the local parts store wants for just the compressor. Replacing this way you get the compressor new or remanufactured, with clutch and pulley, new lines, dryer and evaporator.

It's not that hard. I had a clogged up line filter or orifice tube, which ever you want to call it... On these Jeeps it is built in and entrapped in the liquid line. So I replaced the whole line. Not a big deal. Release tool for firewall, socket and ratchet.

Anyone that can do basic mechanical can remove and install new parts. It's the prep and charge after installing parts that you may want to pay to have done.

In my case I could really just replace my compressor with clutch because my compressor is fine. There are two legit reasons they suggest replacing everything. One is if a compressor has failed there will be metal shavings in the system that could partially or fully clog something or cycle back into your new compressor. Or something could be partially clogged that caused your issue in the first place.

I think in my case it was because someone ran some sort of dye in mine to find a leaky seal... and that seems to have mixed with the oil making a goo, and then there is the white freon residue looking stuff. That semi-clogged the filter in my line, which I fixed. But now I still have an issue with the clutch, which may have been overworked or just went south.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st there is no "in-line filter" in the KJ's AC system.

2nd if you want any type of warranty you must replace the receiver/dryer and orifice tube(whole line in a KJ) and have the system flushed.

That being said after 1994 AC condensers and evaporators can not be truly flushed by design.If any trash got into the system flushing may remove 25%-50% of it at most.

AC is a luxury item and costly to repair correctly,most can not DIY since the correct tools are very expensive.You can not vent refrigerant into the air,it is illegal and charging the system correctly is done by weight.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an inline filter. If you want to call it an orifice tube to be politically correct, call it that. But it's a screen filter. In most A/C systems this is a replaceable $2 part located right where the line disconnects. But Jeep decided to stop that by making it a built in filter built into the line at an undisclosed location, which forces you to buy an entire line if with age it collects enough goo to clog.

It's a bunch of BS is what it is. You can find it in the line location that is hidden under the airbox inlet. They now sell kits to cut the line and install a better replacement, but most don't have the ability to do it or the knowledge of where it is located. I didn't before I took it apart or I would have avoided buying a line over it.

That's not the issue here though. He's either got a bad clutch or bearing or compressor. If the compressor is gone he will want to get a kit to replace the whole system because it will have indeed possibly contaminated them with metal shavings.

He can have the system evacuated for a few bucks if he doesn't want to leave his ozone footprint. Then replace all the parts relatively cheap and turn the wrenches himself. Then have it vacuumed and charged for a few bucks. Beats $1300. There's an info sticker under the hood for the amount of oil and charge.

egall

Reaction score
The jeep is making the noise all the time, it idles really hard and sometimes even shuts itself off. I got a second quote from another shop and they said that it might be the whole AC kit but that 1300 does seem a little high for parts and labor. I found a video on youtube of another jeep thats making the same noise. My jeep is making the same noise, albeit a little louder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENbEbwEwxPM

kchawda

Reaction score
@Egall

I had to replace the AC kit on my liberty and it really is super straight forward. As someone else said venting is a no-no, but most shops will evacuate the system for you - let you do the work - then they recharge. In total the work aspect was just over an hour or two with basic tools, but I only replaced 2 lines, dryer, and compressor.

While I researched it I did end up bypassing the AC by lifting the compressor out of the way and changing the belt out.

ivantate

Reaction score
I thought my AC compressor was going, but it was actually the waterpump. The load on it changed with AC engaged and made it knock.

Pump had never leaked and i had pulled the compressor before realising it hadnt self destructed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online