ABS Light on/off again!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pippobug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question about ABS light coming one staying on, still staying on then turning off…

Yesterday I was driving back on the Motorway, I did a round trip of 250 Mls, mainly motorway and let’s say I wasn’t holding back on the right peddle (cruising speed 80 mph +). On the way there the KJ went without a problem, probably did it good as I mainly do short journeys all the time. On the way back the ABS light came one. Checked the breaks no problem with stopping at all even at speed. Stopped a couple of time, restated the KJ light still on. Got home parked up left it for 2 hr got in the KJ to run to the shops, light still on. This morning started the KJ light still on, drove out to go to work did about 200 meters and the light went off!!

Now does anyone know what is going on? I will keep an eye out and see what happens, but next week I am off on holiday and I have to tow my caravan on a 3000 mls round trip. I assume it might be a sensor some where (front or back)? How can I check?

Tks,
Fil.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
ABS is a complicated computerized system. No point in trying to guess.
Best thing is to have Dealer or shop with the proper scanner to read the stored codes.
That will pinpoint the problem and may very well be one of the sensors.

Pippobug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope it's only a sensor and nothing more. I called the dealer and heading tomorrow to be checked out.

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've been through some mud recently, take it to the car wash and shoot the hubs thoroughly. Might just be the sensors are partially fouled. I had this happen before where they were fine driving around town, but higher speeds the ABS and brake light would pop on. stop, shut down, restart would clear it for a while.

Pippobug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
yesterday I kept driving around on short runs and light was on, then it went off and up to now is still off. I am not sure what is going on now. When I take it to the dealer today, to have it checked out, I am going to go via Motorway and see it it come on again before i get there (hate complaining about something to dealership and turning up and it doesn't show the problem, sound like I am paranoid or making things up!!) As a hunch I think some sensor got realy hot as I was crousing on the motorway at speed or maybe there is a loose contact on a sensor (that is going to drive me mad). I will keep you posted.
Tks,
Fil.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(hate complaining about something to dealership and turning up and it doesn't show the problem, sound like I am paranoid or making things up!!) As a hunch I think some sensor got realy hot as I was crousing on the motorway at speed or maybe

Don't worry, errors get stored and proper scan tool will show them anyway.
Sensors should NEVER get hot, as they don't come in contact with anything.

Good luck.

Pippobug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back from the dealer, looks like I need a NEW front sensor on the passenger side, Part about $70 plus 1 hr labour to fit. The funny thing is the ABS light isn't on and hasn't come on since yesterday, go figure. Still I am off on holiday and I need to tow my caravan about 2000 mls all in all, I am hoping they will manage to fit me in before saturday.
Fil.

Pippobug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
well took the KJ to have the new sensor fitted, all well, but here come the next part to the saga!! Looks like "someone" has fitted the wrong side hub to that coner of the KJ!!! according to the meccanic I have 2 left side hubs fitted in front!! I take it there is a right & left side one, correct? I have no idea how this is happend. Since I bought the KJ never have changed any of them....somehow this is now causing a problem with the ABS/Breaks. When I break it feels like the ABS keeps now wanting to kick in. Before I changed the senson I had no problem at all!! Also no light is on on the dash board swoning a problem with the ABS.
Any idea what is going on? I am off on holiday and will be towing my caravan about.
Fil

Latest posts

Members online