ABS light on, no cruise control, yes horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeadvilleLarry

Reaction score
Air Bag light on, no cruise control, yes horn

I replaced the clockspring and I still have the same issues. Air Bag light on (NOT ABS), no cruise control, yes horn. I went and had it scanned and the OBD diagnostic said:
-drivers squib cir 1 & 2 open
-drivers seat belt sensor short and open
-loss of SAS communication
-no OCM message
The tech said that he was unable to reset the Air Bag light. What is going on? Is there a problem with the Air Bag controller in the console?

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD

Last edited:

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went thru this mess with my XJ. Not quite the same, but very similar: thrown code for undervolt on TPS. The kinda crazy thing is that all the systems your describe (except the horn) share the same ground. And the horn shares the clock-spring connection. Its all interrelated... which makes troubleshooting a major PITA.

What I did to diagnose my final fix was pull the horn relay. Yes my horn was working just fine... but I had come across that post for a slightly different problem. All of the sudden my TPS voltages were normal. I replaced the clock-spring and then reinserted the horn relay and all was well. What was happening is that there was a short between the common ground for the cruise/TPS/IAC/"lots of other sensors" and the horn. My horn worked fine as did my cruise, but my idle was all messed up and the CEL was on.

The lesson that I learned on that one is that shared grounds suck for troubleshooting. Something that you think may have nothing to do with it... does.

that being said:
I would try to disconnect the cruise control portion of the system and see if that has an impact on the airbag... you can also try the reverse, but only if you are comfortable working with the airbag system. Biggest thing to remember is that you need to dissipate any remaining charge in the system. I have seen posts online that it will take anywhere from 2 minutes to 30 minutes. I disconnect both battery terminals and clamp them together for 10 minutes, and thus far I haven't had an issue.

A side note on that - the batter terminal procedure that I just described will also more than likely reset your computer. This may clear the SRS light, but it will also mean that the computer will reset to defaults for performance. It will take several full driving cycles to relearn. Not a big deal, but here in Colorado, it does some adjustments for high altitude, and I see you are in Leadville... so those adjustments will be more pronounced. not a big deal, just something to keep in mind that you will probably get worse gas mileage for the first tank after the computer reset.

Having gone thru this hell with my XJ, keep this updated and I'll share everything I can with what happened with me and hopefully that will help. Welcome to the group!

LeadvilleLarry

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. I will check out the grounds and see what I find. The odd thing about this seems to be that the trouble began when I pulled the seats and cleaned the carpet. I'll let you know what I find!

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohhhh... I might have a solution for you right there then... in 2005 they put a bladder in the passenger seat as an occupancy sensor. the airbag will fire if occupied, wont if it isn't. When I swapped 2003 seats into my 2005, I had to swap the bladder INTO the older seats. That plug may be the issue. I would definitely check that. Fortunately, the absence of the airbag bladder doesn't mess with the operation of rest of the SRS system, and neither does the seat bet buckled sensors. If any of those are loose, it could easily trip the SRS warning.

I am not sure, however, how that would relate to the cruise control - except for that common ground being so pervasive throughout the system.

Hope this helps some!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I would check both seats out for good connections on the plugs...plugs on seat belt tensioner etc. Make sure the connections at the airbag squibs themselves are firmly fitted as is the plug for the clock spring. Follow the advise on discharging any capacitance in the circuit as djtimyd noted!

Did your new clock spring come fitted with a locating plastic piece to hold it in place until it was put in its position when the plastic piece can be pulled out? Earlier clock springs did not come this way and there was a procedure to wind it a few times until a "flag" showed in the plastic window on on the side....failure to do this procedure would cause damage to the new clock spring!

You may need to follow the lead coming down from the steering hub and check the connection into the harness.

Cruise control could be other problems such as the brake switch.

justjeeps

Reaction score
I replaced the clock spring and I still have the same issues. Air Bag light on (NOT ABS), no cruise control, yes horn. I went and had it scanned and the OBD diagnostic said:
-drivers squib cir 1 & 2 open
-drivers seat belt sensor short and open
-loss of SAS communication
-no OCM message
The tech said that he was unable to reset the Air Bag light. What is going on? Is there a problem with the Air Bag controller in the console?

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD

The drivers Squb cir 1 & 2 is the driver side air bag because it listed each cir. If you were to unplug the driver side airbag connector on the back of the clock spring it would indicate driver side squib open but it would not list cir 1 & 2 (at least this was the case with my 2002 jeep liberty).

there is a link in my post "in deep with air bag light" to a 2004 FSM I found online it is an active pdf. I have a 2002 FSM which does go into the air bag system, however the link has more info with scan results, errors and possible solutions.

it is a very trying issue to resolve.

LeadvilleLarry

Reaction score
I have cleaned all 4 grounds that are between the front seat bolts and I have re-plugged every connector on the seats and seat belt system including the OCM with no positive results. I am now looking for grounds around the steering column but not finding any. All of the suggestions have been helpful. Since there are 4 issues related to the SAS, my sense is that I either have a bad connection or a bad ground, but then all I did was to pull the seats and clean the carpet and upholstery. However, while the seats were out, I started the car for some reason that I cannot remember and now I have the Air Bag light. Could starting the car, without having the seat belt connectors connected, cause the Air Bag light to set?

justjeeps

Reaction score
I have cleaned all 4 grounds that are between the front seat bolts and I have re-plugged every connector on the seats and seat belt system including the OCM with no positive results. I am now looking for grounds around the steering column but not finding any. All of the suggestions have been helpful. Since there are 4 issues related to the SAS, my sense is that I either have a bad connection or a bad ground, but then all I did was to pull the seats and clean the carpet and upholstery. However, while the seats were out, I started the car for some reason that I cannot remember and now I have the Air Bag light. Could starting the car, without having the seat belt connectors connected, cause the Air Bag light to set?

there is a ground lead behind the knee guard with a large eye bolt hole. Not exactly sure where it was originally bolted but I secured it next to the fuse block on the driver left side.

Latest posts

Members online