A/c question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keajwhee

Reaction score
Hello, I have an 05 with 230k with poor cooling at vents. It blows cooler when driving than idling. In tennessee right now its about 90-95. Over the winter I replaced evaporator core and heater core at the same time. I charged it when day Temps starting reaching 75. I have changed condenser, low pressure line, high pressure line, and evap core. Jeep blows blows a little cool at normal low and high pressure. 40 and 210 respectively. Orifice line is cold and all doors in dash work properly. No codes for any switches but haven't tested at pressure switches. Anyone think a stopped up accumulator or suction line could affect it at the vents?

Keajwhee

Reaction score
Compressor operated normal as well as both fans. Mine has mechanic and electric. It cycles often but I believe that's normal

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The best I can get out of my air vents set to re-circulation mode at 80F is 43F out the vents on a good day at hwy speed.
At idle it gets warm lol.
You need 1000rpm + to make it cooler & moving.
Here are some specs to view.
You must be registered for see images attach

It's definitely not the best A/C on the block. Make sure the high & low are with in specifications.
See factory manual: https://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2005JeepKJServiceManual.pdf

Keajwhee

Reaction score
The best I can get out of my air vents set to re-circulation mode at 80F is 43F out the vents on a good day at hwy speed.

It's definitely not the best A/C on the block. Make sure the high & low are with in specifications.
See factory manual: https://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2005JeepKJServiceManual.pdf

Even with all new components you thin

Is that diagram saying that with all new components the optimal achievable temperature is 55 at the vents at 90 degrees?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes outside ambient 90F = 55F vent. (once the vents cool down, takes a while lol )
Get yourself one of these meat probes, this was on a cooler day to boot.
Place it in Center vent...

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Summer = try to park in the shade, with windows slightly down for ventilation ;)
I also use a silver front window reflector, that keeps the jeep much cooler when in the sun.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today it was 92F in TN, I was towing a 3,000lb camper with the A/C on and I was stuck in traffic for an hour in I-75, A/C was putting out 44F air the entire time. For some reason I like to keep a digital probe with me and I just happened to check it today. Left it in there for an hour for whatever reason... Ive always thought the KJ has the best A/C and heat of any vehicle Ive been in.

You say it cools better when moving, have you checked the fan to make sure both speeds are working on the cooling fan?

With the pressures you mentioned, it doesnt look like anything is stopped up.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid question maybe but does your internal fan blow at all speeds?;)

It is pretty hot here where I live so even at a high speed on the Highway on a hot day I need to turn the internal fan up to level 3 at least to get good cooling inside.:)

Robochop

Robochop
Reaction score
Just a thought, but did you properly evacuate the system when you changed all the components? I have had this same problem before after changing compressor and receiver/dryer. I let my evac pump run for 45-60 minutes to make sure there was a good vacuum before putting freon in. I have also found that some crap had gotten into the accumulator and clogged it up and I had tp replace it as well.

dutch

Reaction score
Hello, I have an 05 with 230k with poor cooling at vents. It blows cooler when driving than idling. In tennessee right now its about 90-95. Over the winter I replaced evaporator core and heater core at the same time. I charged it when day Temps starting reaching 75. I have changed condenser, low pressure line, high pressure line, and evap core. Jeep blows blows a little cool at normal low and high pressure. 40 and 210 respectively. Orifice line is cold and all doors in dash work properly. No codes for any switches but haven't tested at pressure switches. Anyone think a stopped up accumulator or suction line could affect it at the vents?
I also have an 05 and hardly ever carry backseat passengers, so I went to Walmart and bought some clear plastic from the fabric section. Installed it behind the back of front seats. It's not , 100% air tight, but does help cool the front cabin only and not having to cool all the back area. With the clear plastic, you can still see very well all your surroundings to the side and back.
Plus side is, it cools the front much quicker and now I run my temp switch and fan on lower settings and still stay plenty cool.

Perspective

Reaction score
I just rebuilt my a/c in my 2006 and it won't produce less than 50 degrees at the vent on low and a little higher with the blower at high. Also, if you run max a/c and it seems weak, take your glove box out and make sure the intake isn't clogged. Mine was caked over with dust that needed to be brushed and vacuumed off. This greatly improved a/c performance.

mm4mm

Reaction score
had issues for a while with mine, seemed I had to replace the valves (amazon) and have it refilled, works awesome now

stumpumper46

Reaction score
I don't try to do my own A/C work. My old joints just hate me when I do anything strenuous. So, when my 05 Liberty was not cooling well last year, I took it to a local shop that was highly recommended. He found a connection that had come loose. Not bad for being 14 years old and 240,000 miles. He did his thing and now it blows ice cold air even at idle when it is 90 degrees outside. I think he charged me $120. He mentioned evacuation and recharge. If your A/C is properly charged and all the components are working properly it should be blowing cold air like mine. I don't know if it makes a difference, mine has the 2.8 CRD diesel engine.