A/C compressor installation quandary -HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomc99999

Reaction score
The A/C compressor pulley failed on my 2002 Liberty so I purchased a kit that included a new compressor, new receiver drier, o-rings, oil and an expansion device.
I installed the parts in the evening and made an appointment at an auto repair shop for the next day. I ran some errands and dropped it off about 24 hours after I installed the parts. They called the next day and said the compressor and accumulator I had just installed would need to be replaced. I asked why and was told if the flush/fill is not done immediately after install, the parts are ruined. I am a novice mechanic so don’t have a clue what needs to be done—Help!!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reciever/dryer will need to be replaced as the dessicate bag will be used up in short order unless vacuum is applied very soon after install,then charged.The compressor will be fine as long as the correct amount of PAG oil was installed in the system.

tomc99999

Reaction score
Thanks -- Now I know the truth!! They wanted 1,200 -- 1,500 and said they were going to replace everything -
About the oil-- Is there a way to check to see if the compressor is OK? I got the kit from discount AC parts and the instructions didn't mention adding oil. I was told that some vendor ship the compressor with oil and others don't.
Thanks again (I am about to order a new reciever/dryer and if needed a compressor- $600 is still less than the $1200 if I had it done at the shop