7pin Non Mopar Hitch Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shortly after the purchase of my KJ in 2004 I equipped it with a Draw-Tite Class III hitch and Draw-Tite T-One 4pin trailer wiring. No my KJ did not come with the factory tow package, and no I've not added any additional cooling (the HD fan or trans cooler beyond what it came with from the factory).

Fast forward to this past month, I bought a 16' car trailer with electric brakes and now have a delema...how do I get a 7pin connector without re buying too much and not paying the fortune for the Mopar parts?

I decided that rather than ditch my T-One wiring harness (I paid 20shipped) and buying the Mopar 7pin wiring (over $100) I'd get a 4pin to 7pin adapter. Etrailer has a nice selection, from which I got this one (pic below). End result will be ~50 bucks into wiring and I've got a working 7pin setup.

With the plug at the back there is only left the matter of wiring up the brake controller (I got a Prodigy). Reading HOW TO: Tow Stuff (Hitches, Harnesses and Brakes) I've determined while I've got neither the tow package or an EVIC I do have the blue trailer wire under the dash. All I've got to do is confirm its wired to the back of the Jeep and connecting the controller will be complete.

4pin to 7pin adapter:
You must be registered for see images

I'll get more info and pictures in the coming days, its not completely mounted/functional just yet.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got one of those for the same reason. Ive never needed it but I went ahead and got it incase I ever did. I ordered the wrong bracket that holds it to the hitch so I would need to order another one of those.

Its alittle more trouble since you must run each wire to do whatever you want it to do..

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also just wire your existing 4 wire harness to a 7 pin plug you buy at your neighborhhod NAPA for $12 or thereabouts and run your battery charging wire and hook up the controller wire for a few bucks more and be done with it in a hour or so. The 7 pin isn't rocket science, just a few extra wires. The harness schematics are always in the plug when you buy one so you just put this color wire in the connector that is also marked for that color.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty much what I'm doing, though its going to leave me with a 7 and 4 pin plug on the rear at all times rather than just the T-One's 4 pin.

I'll have a few more pictures up later.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok finally got those pictures hosted

Didn't get a chance to finish the wiring tonight...

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...thank god NY goes over kill with the salt in our 8 month winder season!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.